We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa needed for flight transfer?

London
Level Contributor
379 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Visa needed for flight transfer?

Hi,

I am flying into Hanoi for a 6 hour transit stop over but not leaving the airport. Do i need a visa, i am coming from London, going to Laos, but the flight stops here.

Are you able to advise?

thanks

Mark

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa needed for flight transfer?

You are asked to obtain a visa in case your flights are not a connecting and you are expected to get out the transit area to pick up your luggage and check in again for another flight. You are advised to contact your airline about this information.

Hope this help.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,553 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa needed for flight transfer?

Are you on one ticket or two? Changing airlines? If two tickets, or your luggage is not ticketed through to Laos, or using two airlines, then yes you will need a visa. You may still need one even if you're on a through ticket, others can advise on that.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa needed for flight transfer?

Which makes any form of transit on two different airlines through Vietnam a painful affair.

London
Level Contributor
379 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa needed for flight transfer?

I am on one carrier straight through to Laos

i imagine therefore i am fine to transit through?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa needed for flight transfer?

You should be, but you should confirm with your carrier that they will check your luggage through.

London
Level Contributor
379 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa needed for flight transfer?

I rang Vietnam Airlines, and they said i dont need a visa but should just ensure with transit in Hanoi my luggage is fine

London
Level Contributor
379 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa needed for flight transfer?

Thank you for your help

I also checked with an online VAO site, and they said no visa for transit on same carrier, to stay in international lounge

Seattle, Washington
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa needed for flight transfer?

I recently traveled from Bangkok (Don Mueang International Airport) to Ho Chi Mihn (16 May 2014) to catch a flight to Seoul. I purchased a separate ticket on AirAsia from DMK to HCM. I was flying on Asiana from HCM to Seoul. I did research on both the HCM airport and Tripadvisor websites regarding needing a visa to do an international transfer at HCM. My research indicated that I would NOT need a visa. HOWEVER, when I arrived at DMK to board my flight to HCM, I was informed that I DID require a visa. I explained that I was connecting to an Asiana flight, but it was explained to me that several low cost carriers (AirAsia, DragonAir, etc) do not have access to the International Transfer Desk. After several emails to Vietnam and my partner speaking directly to Asiana (in Phuket), I was informed that I would be allowed to board the flight and an Asiana representative would meet me. When I arrived at HCM, there were two transfer desks, a main one with the majority of international airlines and a smaller one with a monitor saying Asiana. A Vietnamese official took my information and made some phone calls and about 15 minutes later, a representative from Asiana arrived and issued my boarding pass. However, she also mentioned that AirAsia and several smaller airlines require passengers to retrieve luggage and exit the airport and proceed to the main ticketing area (thus requiring going through customs and needing a visa). It may have helped that I did not have checked luggage. Long story short, if you are flying into HCM or Hanoi on a flight not related to your connecting flight and it is a low cost carrier, verify with the airline whether you need a visa. I was able to get my boarding pass, but the Vietnamese official said they usually return the passenger to the country from which they arrived.

9. Re: Visa needed for flight transfer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 07:16