We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2013 tour

Bromley
Level Contributor
225 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
August 2013 tour

Hi - any help gratefully received...I'm planning the family holiday this year and we have chosen Vietnem (August - I know - rainy season.....) The itinery is as follows:

D1 arrive PM; D2 Hanoi; D3 to Halong and overnight on Junk; D4 back and flight to Hue; D5 in Hue; D6 To HoiAn (drive); D7&8 Beach at HoiAn; D9 To HCM and on to Delta; D10 Delta and back to HCM; D11 HCM; D12 Back home.....

Now - if i need to creat more time or get back a day earlier, what should I cut out? Hue? Mekong Delta? (please not the beach!?)

Also - impact of rainy season?

Need to book this week to get decent flight rates so any help very much appreciated.....

JC

Bromley
Level Contributor
225 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August 2013 tour

.....also 1-2 days in Hong Kong at layover, does that work?

leicester
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August 2013 tour

Personally I would forget the lay over and spend your time in Vietnam. In the time you have you are trying to do too much in my opinion. You will be spending a lot of your time travelling and journeys are slow and often uncomfortable. Most people on the forum will recommend that if you have 2 weeks to pick a maximum of 4 places. You have got six, so cut out two. How about flying into Hanoi and out again. You could then look at Halong Bay, Hanoi, ,Hue and Hoi An and have a far more relaxed time. Or cut out Hue and visit Sapa. Whatever you decide, it is better in my experience to experience some where properly rather than returning home with hundreds of pictures but no real memory of the places.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 18:44
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,724 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August 2013 tour

+1 to what JoLeicester had said.

Obviously a beach break is an absolute must for you, so with the time you have available make that Hoi An. In essence, as you don't have a heck of a lot of time you should seriously consider sticking to northern and central Vietnam.

You have also allotted almost no time to Hanoi, which is a unique city and probably unlike any other you have ever encountered so it might well knock your socks off. It does mine, which is why I return year after year and never tire of it.

You don't have to be too perturbed about the rainy season. Downfalls rarely last more than an hour or three in August and for the rest of the day you can get about dryly. Apart from what the high humidity causes you to exude from your own pores that is.

The latter is not to shrugged or mopped off without a care as intense heat and humidity are debilitating and can halve what you can tackle in a day, which is all the more reason for restricting the number of destinations in your itinerary. Think fractious kids. And fractious parents.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 21:18
4. Re: August 2013 tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:23