We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days ... Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
5 days ... Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia?

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate your feedback. My husband and I are travelling to SE Asia for three weeks in August. We have visited Thailand twice before, and will be spending a few days in Bangkok and a few days probably around Koh Samui (perhaps Koh Tao instead - to dive), we conclude the trip in Singapore.

We have about 6 days unscheduled and are trying to decide where to go: Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali? We're relatively adventurous and would like a moderate trekking experience, or other opportunities to spend time in nature. Price is obviously a consideration, but we're planning on staying in hotels, not budget accommodations.

(also - we have very specific dietary needs so food is not a factor in deciding where to go).

Thanks!

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days ... Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia?

Well, to eliminate one country, Vietnam would probably not be the right place for this trip. It certainly offers a lot, but the logistics and distances of travel rule it out for what you have in mind. Come back when you have at least 2 weeks to spare, and preferably much, much longer.

It's also perhaps not the best country for your "very specific dietary needs", whatever they might be.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,720 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days ... Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia?

I thoroughly agree, Vietnam is not the destination for a quickie (come back when relaxed and have a month to spare)

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
162 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days ... Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia?

Siam Reap in Cambodia would be a good little quickie holiday, also easy to get to/from Bangkok and Singapore. Also massive bonus is that it is very cheap. (a lot cheaper than Bali and a little less than Vietnam)

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
162 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days ... Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia?

Oh and my partner is Vegetarian and they found it hard to find food in the cities of Vietnam (strangely enough it was easier the further out you wen t) so maybe a consideration....

Plus I also agree with the other guys save Vietnam for when you get the time to do it justice

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
310 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days ... Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia?

I would go to Phnom Penh Cambodia, and or SR. Its my favorite place , and lots to do. I am confused by your statement of " (also - we have very specific dietary needs so food is not a factor in deciding where to go). "

Does that mean you are not going to eat the local food .

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days ... Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia?

Hi, with the timeframe you have I would definitely opt for Cambodia as you need more time for both Bali and Vietnam and it's easy to get to from Thailand.

7. Re: 5 days ... Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:19