We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advise for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel advise for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

Hi Guys,

Myself and two friends are travelling through Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos for 3 months starting in July. We have decided to fly into Vietnam but don't really have a route planned yet.

Any information and tips would be really helpful. What is a good route to take through the three countries? What are the must sees while in each country?

Thanks Tess

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advise for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

Laos is abit hard to go by since most Cambodia bus don't go to vietinne the capital , from Cambodia you can take bus into Vietnam . I've been to most asia countries and Vietnam has the worst ripped off . Ibut good luck anyway

You can only reach the border city in Laos which will be pretty boring

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,522 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advise for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

hello Tess & welcome to TA

rather than answer your questions, here are some tips on hoe you can make the most of this amazing resource to do your research & planning.

there are some fantastic features on TA that, as a newbie you may have missed seeing - there's so much to see at first it can all be a little overwhelming.

the best place for you to start is the top questions - upper right of this screen

then have a look in the 'things to do' link in the green bar at the top - make a list of things there which interest you

then for further info on any of these things - the search box (directly above your post on this page and at the top of the list of topics on each forum front page) will be your new best friend - use this function like a google search - key words & phrases - you'll get to all previous posts on that topic

while you're using the search box - look for trip reports (aka JBRs - just back reports) - I find these the best source of info when I start to plan a trip to a new destination.

when you have something more like a draft itinerary, post it here for comment - it's much easier for the regulars to help you if they have something to work from. It's a good idea too to give an indication of your budget, interests, and style of travel

hope this gets you started

cheers

helen

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advise for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

Another very useful research resource is travelfish, which has lots of information on all three countries:

http://www.travelfish.org/

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,908 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advise for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

My tip is not to try to cram too much into that trip. I would say that it makes most sense to start the trip in Hanoi and working your way south through Vietnam to Cambodia and lastly, Laos. In Vietnam, road travel is on the dangerous side, so you might want to use a combo of air and train. Don't let answer #1 scare you - I find Vietnam to be the friendliest of all Asian destinations, but use your common sense, and you'll be fine. I too suggest you start your planning with the help of Travelfish.org - a great site written by very savvy people.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advise for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

Thank you for all the great advise guys. I will start my research tonight!

6. Re: Travel advise for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 07:15