We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

Hi,

I'm going to Vietnam alone in June for two weeks, so I was wandering if you could give me any recommendations and if it is safe and OK to do it alone.

Thanks a lot

Vasco

UK
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

Probably, if you discount the dangers of the roads, much safer than any big city in Europe.

However, you shouldn't discount the dangers of the road in Vietnam, but take all possible steps to minimize your risks. Overnight long distance buses do not have a good record....

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

Where cities are you planning on visiting Vasco? For general recommendations and information a good guide book will be very helpful to you. Bring your street smarts with you and watch out for potential scams.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

In my view the more you know before you travel the better the experience in Vietnam. Knowing where to eat, where to stay, what to avoid all helps you feel more confident and the trip more enjoyable. Research a few places, see what appeals and try to keep your plans flexible without cramming too much in. Opt for either north or south in your two weeks and be aware travel in VN can be slow and sometimes uncomfortable so don't spend all your time travelling to places. Hanoi is amazing in both culture and uniqueness. Sapa is an experience, Halong Bay is stunning. The country will test you, its hard work sometimes but keep reading, asking questions and have a basic plan for where you want to visit without trying to see the whole country. Imagine doing the USA in a fortnight....not possible. Once you have a basic plan you can fill in the details ie a few places to eat, where to meet others, how to travel between destinations. Have fun.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

I'm planning on:

1. To and from Hanoi, then fly to da nang and visit hue and hoi an, then fly to Ho Chi Minh, then back to Hanoi.

or

2. To and from Ho Chi Minh, then fly to da nang and visit hue and hoi an, then fly to Hanoi, then back to Ho Chi Minh.

I'm planning on taking those internal flights, since they are cheap, for european standards.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

For your safety, I can recommend some such as:

1. One of my friend travelled to Hanoi got stolen by a pickpocket, luckily he didnt bring much money and his important papers with him. Interestingly, afterwards he put some of his money in a small box that is used for containing candies/chewing gum to spend for a few days, dont bring much cash with u. U can make some copies of ur papers, then take it with u when u travel on the road. Leave the real ones at the hotel.

2. Try to know more abt which transport u're gonna use to travel, just to stay away from being ripped off. Should try to ask ur hotel and other tourists where u stay abt the price of things u wanna pay for.

3. U can give donation to tourism places where u visit if necessary, but dont give much to beggars. Whenever u give some to one, there will be a lot other ones coming to u, and it would be very dangerous if they intend to steal from u.

4. I've heard some dramatic traffic accidents of foreigners, so be careful when trying to cross roads for example.

Wish u all luck

Trinh

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

It depends of what kind of safe you are thinking about. I travelled alone, and never felt even a least bit in danger in physical sense, nobody was ever violent or threatening or inappropriate, I walked everywhere I wanted without a single incident. However I would not say that traffic there is very safe, accidents could happen, so it is important to have insurance and take care. And you should also look well after your money and stuff.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

VascoCid

I did my first solo trip a few years ago when I turned 50. It was the most amazing experience of my life and I will never forget it. I have done trips to Vn with my wife and with friends but I have never felt so free as when I flew solo (wow, maybe I should get a divorce :-)

Whether you go north to south or the other your plan is sound. Make sure the transit between Hue and danang is on the train as it is spectacular.

Good luck,

Mark

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

Why not safe and ok, Vasco?

We find the country totally safe and worth a visit. Also, the cost here is very cheap if you tailor made your trip.

9. Re: Travelling to Vietnam alone in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16