We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling solo in vietnam

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling solo in vietnam

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on traveling solo in Vietnam. I will be arriving on the 22 June and want to stay for 2 weeks or so. I thought about booking an intrepid tour (don't usually do tours) as I enjoy meeting people and the itinerary looks ok (10 days). I don't need particularly flash accom and enjoy adventure. Any suggestions? Flying in and out if HCMC. Thanks so much, Leonie

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling solo in vietnam

Quite easy and safe to do it by yourself. For two weeks I would stick to the south / central areas. Nice and warm at that time of the year and easy to book good inexpensive accommodation as you move around. You will meet many others doing the same as yourself and easy to join up with them for a few days. Definitively stay in Nha Trang for a few nights and if you want to get away from the heat drop into Dalat. Enjoy.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,428 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling solo in vietnam

You won't be the first to travel alone in Vietnam - it's safe and easy to DIY here. Do a little research over on Travelfish.org and decide for yourself where and what you want to see. Don't overdo the stops because travel here is time consuming, but there's no need to restrict your travel to the south - in fact, I think the north has more to offer (Hanoi and Sapa are my favorites).

Know the scams ahead of time to protect yourself. Easy easy to meet other solo travelers here, and do engage the locals (fantastic people).

Please stay off of long distance buses - can be dangerous!

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling solo in vietnam

Thank you Viet1 and daawgn

You are making me think that I could ditch the tour and with a little homework do it myself which is what I've always done, but with a friend. Do you have any advice on what area/district I should stay in when I arrive in HCMC where I am most likely to meet travellers- I am 46 yo but will hang/travel with any age group. Thanks so much, I really appreciate the advice! L

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling solo in vietnam

The best place to stay is on Pham Ngu Lao street, you will find heaps of other people there and all the tourist operators there.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling solo in vietnam

Definitely stay in the backpacker district (Pham Ngu Lao) - lots of bars (nice ones), restaurants, people everywhere day and night. There are some very well priced accommodation options in this area and it is still not far from the main tourist area.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 00:19
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling solo in vietnam

Leonie I'm sure the Intrepid tour is good but it will be much cheaper to DIY and I think you will have a better time. As mentioned District 1,PGL and around there you will meet many travelers. Do let us know how you get on.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling solo in vietnam

It's very easy to travel alone in VN and, if you don't like group tours, you can trip around easily by yourself.

You'll meet people easily around the Pham Ngu Lao area.

Although it can be done, it's a little more tricky going to the Mekong by yourself and more expensive so I'd recommend taking a tour to do this part of your trip. It's definitely worthwhile and I suggest 2 nights which is easily booked with a tour operator around Pham Ngu Lao.

Depending on what you like doing, you might like to go up to Hoi An where you can enjoy the best of a town, some history and a beach. As mentioned by an earlier poster, although the north is very different to the south and absolutely fascinating, if you try to cram it all into your two weeks, you'll do a lot of travelling but less to truly experience the pace and sights of Vietnam.

8. Re: Travelling solo in vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 06:17