We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach holiday in July- Nha Trang or Hoi An?

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach holiday in July- Nha Trang or Hoi An?

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Vietnam in July (very hot i know!). During the middle part of our trip we will be traveling to Nha Trang and then after to Da Nang (to go to Hoi An/ a trip to Hue too). I originally planned 4 days in Nha Trang and 4 in DN but just wanted to get some advice on whether people find Hoi An/ Da Nang and surrounding areas a better place and worthy of more time?

Have read some mixed reviews of Nha Trang and although it sounds pretty good to me (BF and I want to see both the cultural areas and also do some fun things like the amusement park/ go to the beach etc) I'm just trying to work out whether I should plan to spend less or more time there than in Hoi An.

Will need to book flights to Da Nang from Nha Trang and was hoping to do that before we go but if it's easy to do over there then i guess we have a bit more freedom !

Would love some opinions about the two areas and also any recommendations of activities and places to see. We are both very fun and adventurous people and want a good mix of relaxation, fun and a cultural experience. We are 21 and have from the 8th-16th of July to visit the 2 regions :)

Any other tips for young travelers please post below too!

Thanks!

leicester
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach holiday in July- Nha Trang or Hoi An?

If you are flexible on your travel dates once there you should be fine to get a flight when you arrive. It may however not be the cheapest though as the prices do vary. I haven't been to Nha Trang so wouldn't comment on whether it is a good place to go, but reviews on here lead me to think that you will like it based on your age and sense of adventure. The negatives about it (purely through reading the forums) seem to be about how much it has changed, how many Russian tourists it has, how commercial it has become. But you won't know its changed, you probably won't care where your fellow visitors have come from and you will maybe enjoy the commercial elements in the form of bars and restaurants. I believe it has good beaches, good water sport options, diving, and the water park. I also believe if you look at some previous posts on here there are some good tips on where to go to get off the main drag.

Danang is a large western city in my my opinion, with lots of nice big hotels and is definately an up and coming area in Vietnam for the tourist industry. Hoi An is different again, it has a pretty old town, some great shopping opportunities if you like clothes, and some lovely restaurants. It also has beaches away from the centre. We loved it, and yes it is also commercial but it still manages to feel Asian, very unique and the majority of people there are still Vietnamese.

How long you stay depends on your own likes and dislikes but personally I would give Danang a miss other than a way in and out of Hoi An and give Hoi An some decent time. We stayed in a great place outside of the town which had a pool and we relaxed for a few days whilst heading off into town by push bike at night. Great fun but also chill out time. Whatever time you decide to give to each, you will not be bored in either I'm sure. I would happily spend two weeks in Hoi An!

Edited: 29 May 2014, 09:06
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach holiday in July- Nha Trang or Hoi An?

I would give Nha Trang a miss and go to Da Nang. With only 8 days and including flights from OZ I wouldn't like to spend more time travelling between 2 centres. From Da Nang you can go day tripping to Hoi An as well as other places close by. I don't see the point in going to 2 places as it will just use up another day.

Cheers Ross

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach holiday in July- Nha Trang or Hoi An?

Go to Hoi An, traveling in Vietnam takes too much time, nothing to miss in Nha Trang.

4. Re: Beach holiday in July- Nha Trang or Hoi An?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 06:16