We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography Itinerary

brisbane
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Photography Itinerary

I will be going to Vietnam for 2 weeks purely for photography,thing is not sure on a itinerary .

I fly in and out of HCHC and from there well not sure?

I am open to trains but flying to so any suggestions ,tips etc.

I will be taking 70-200,24-7-,fisheye lens and a 17-40.

Just got to buy a reasonable travel trips as my tripod is heavy.

I know i will be carrying a lot of weight but I can not see how I can leave any of these lenses at home.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography Itinerary

I'd take the 17-40 for landscapes and the 70-200 for general purpose and portraits and leave the others. Itinerary depends on what you like to take pictures of.

brisbane
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography Itinerary

I would like to do Landscapes mainly but also Candid shots of the locals which i could get in the city easy enough.

I would like an Itinerary but also in order of travelling so i travel in the same direction going and could fly back from the last destination to HCMC to fly home.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography Itinerary

You have beautiful landscapes everywhere in Vietnam, but they can be difficult to get to in the golden hours. The signature shots would be Sa Pan Ninh Binh and Ha Long Bay in the north, mountainous regions in the central highlands (Buon Ma Thuot and Da Lat) and the Mekong Delta in the south. And there are seascapes everywhere, but few cityscapes worth exposing your sensor to. People everywhere, and the Vietnamese generally appreciate being photographed (with the exception of indigenous people in the mountains who nowadays want cash in return).

Two weeks is not a lot of time if the weather isn't with you. If it is purely for photography, plan on spending a bit more as you will have to move with the weather, hire motorbike guides to get you to the spots at the right times of day.

You'd have to fly to Ha Noi, take the train to Sa Pa, spend at least two days and one night there, then train back to Ha Noi and a bus to Ha Long Bay where you'd join a trip on the bay. Back to Ha Noi on the next day and fly to Huê for shots around Huê, then a private car south over the Hai Van pass. From Da Nang you'd fly to the central highlands for at least 3 days and then to Can Tho in the delta.

This is just a very rough outline of what I'd do, and I photograph a lot.

Take a virtual trip on Google Earth and Flickr to see what others have done in those areas. The time of year is not unimportant as you'd need to stay clear of the rainy season which differs along the country.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 17:00
UK
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography Itinerary

Two weeks in and out from Saigon is very short even for hitting the highlights.

They have a proper winter in the north, so time of year will make a difference where you want to go. Rainy season can be an issue, but things always look good after rain (although flooding can be a serious problem).

A few shots to whet your appetite are over on the excellent http://www.terragalleria.com/vietnam/ or go virtual exploring with google...

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography Itinerary

In my experience, Hanoi's Old Quarter offers Vietnam's best street scenes and endless opportunities to take candid photos of people going about their daily lives. Even after protracted stays there for many years, I'm still finding new and interesting places to photograph, including some that are entirely unique to Hanoi, for example:

https:/…

There's not a heck of a lot in the way of cityscapes, but the northern shore of West Lake offers possibilities for someone with a decent camera (not mine obviously!):

https:/…

Edited: 07 June 2014, 18:07
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography Itinerary

Concentrate on the north because HCMC and the south are much more westernized. NW Highlands/Sapa and Hanoi should give you plenty of good shots (Mai Chau also very photogenic).

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography Itinerary

Fly into Hanoi on Vietnam Air or Vietjet and take the train up to the NW Highlands/Lao Cai for Sapa

brisbane
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photography Itinerary

Thanks for the tips,great photos to.

brisbane
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply