We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapa Advice

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sapa Advice

Hello,

Heading to Sapa for a few nights.

Can someone please help with below queries...

How much should the overnight train cost? And what is the best company to go with - there is two of us. Is the top or bottom bunk best?

Lastly, do I need to take Maleria medication. I wasn't going to but thought I should check what others reccomend to be safe. Is there a risk of Maleria up there?

Thanks heaps!!

X

leicester
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapa Advice

Only your doctor can advise you re medication, but many people travel to Sapa without taking anti malarials myself included as I was told it was a low risk area. Whichever company you book with to go, most likely the train will be the same unless you pay more and go with Livitrans though I dont know that they are much better in terms of standards. It you are on the top you have to climb down over your fellow travellers should you wish to get out. Bottom bunk, they may climb down over you! Not much in it, unless you struggle to get onto the top bunk which you do have to climb up to via pegs in the wall if I recall. Prices vary depending on where you stay in Sapa, most bookings are for hotel and travel. Your hotel in Hanoi would be able to advise you, or google some trip options.

2. Re: Sapa Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 12:03
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapa Advice

Giang, please look up 'Malaria' in a dictionary - it is not what you seem to think it is!

Danniimc2014, whichever company you use, their private carriages will be hitched to the state-run engine - they are not separate trains. At the top end, the so-called Victoria Train is the most expensive and luxurious; at the bottom end are the very cheap but basic state-owned carriages. In between price-wise and in terms of quality and comfort there are half a dozen other companies. So how much it will cost you will depend on which company you choose.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,174 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapa Advice

Most travelers like the tourist trains, aka private carriages, that are pulled by the state engine. They have 2 and 4-berth compartments and prices can be found at http://www.traintosapa.com (you can book there)

Sapaly is the newest and one in most demand, but Livitrans and King Express are also very good. Be sure to have your Sapa hotel meet this train in the AM. (very little space on these trains - leave bulky luggage at your Hanoi hotel)

5. Re: Sapa Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 06:17