We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Hi All,

Just a quick question about how much money to take for 16 nights for food, drink and local transport....

I don't want to eat in fancy places, i want to eat street food and restaurants where locals eat. We wont be drinking cocktails or wine etc most likely soft drinks and local beer. Also if you could help on the travel prices too please... I know rough prices of flights from city to city but not sure on how much it would cost for a local guide on a bicycle in the Mekong as we want to spend 5 nights there and travel around with a local showing us the sights etc. We will do some trips i expect but a lot of it we want to do ourselves and not be pressurised by times and dont want to be in a big group of people.

I hope this is enough info for anyone to help me??

Thanks so much in advance!

Tammie

leicester
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Local beer is under a dollar, bottled beer is around one to to dollars in the street cafes and local places. Eating local is very cheap, we would usually never spend more than 5 dollars for a meal and if you eat street food it is less. We allowed ourselves around 25usd a day for our food and drinks etc and rarely spent it. Most hotels include breakfast so you eat well in the morning, have a light snack for lunch and a meal at night. Can't help you with the guide as we rarely use them but Hanoi Kids offer a free guide service in Hanoi if you book in advance as they are very busy. In most cities you Wont need a guide unless you go out of town.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Thanks for your response. 25$ is about £17 is that right? And is that each or for 2 of you?thanks again

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Which city will you travel to ??

Which destination you want to go to by local transportation? and from where?

I will recomment to you some local place: local restaurant, drinking beer... as soon as you give me futher information of your trip

Best Regards,

Rosemary

12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Hi,

Which city do you intend to go ? In Hanoi, there is a place that with only 1$ you can buy 4 glass of local beer haha. What do you think ?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

4 beers for €1?? Do tell us where this is .....

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,911 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Bia Hoi (fresh draft beer), available at pavement bia hoi places all over Hanoi.

Bottled beer costs 50p, give or take a few pence.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 08:49
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Local beer is based on a Belgium style beer and is poured from a keg into 1 or 2 litre plastic bottles and you pour your own glasses at the table. Costs 12,000dong per litre about 60cents. or GBP0.33

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Hi rosemary,

We are travelling from HCMC to Dalat by plane for 2-3 nights, then to Mekong delta via HCMC (not stopping off) but travelling around there for 5 nights, then plane from Can Tho to Phu Quoc for 5 nights, then back to HCMC for 2 nights.

Thanks

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

Hello,

Sorry for reply late.

For your itinerary, there are many choices for you. You can transfer by bus or by air plane from Ho Chi Minh to Da Lat - a very nice city. If you stay overnight in hotel at center city, very easy to find a local restaurant to eat and drink local beer. Da lat is a city on moutain area, so temperature in there is lower than others. The point in Da Lat is the night market, you should go around Xuan Huong Lake or shopping at that night market to buy some Da Lat Speciality, also here you can find some local food, many dishes...

For Mekong Delta, you shouldn't miss boat trip in mekong delta. It's so interesting...Local people is very nice there, just go around and get in some local restaurant, you can enjoy local beer with local food.

From Can Tho to Phu QUoc, you can go to by plane or hydrofoil. Phú Quốc is the very beautiful island so you would relax there with beautiful beach, sea food....

Phu Quoc to Ho Chi Minh, you should go by plane. Ho Chi Minh is a bigest city in Vietnam, very crowded, busy, just go out of hotel, walk around near hotel, you can find some where to eat local food and beer.

Have a great time in Vietnam

10. Re: Money to take for food, drinks and travel...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:17