We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Scooter tour

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Scooter tour

This time round its a holiday with the family, but next time I would like to do a Scooter ride with a couple mates.

Yes too much TopGear but what a fun episode it was. It is about the journey, the hardships, the struggles, the idiots on the road, the mateship and of course the accomplishment and stories to tell.

I have read the info provided by Trip Advisor and am I correct in understanding all I need is:

1 .A motorcycle licence from my own country, yes we have that with many years experience in all types of riding including heavy city and offroad expedition.

2 .International licence showing motorcycle licence in own country.

3. 3month Visa stay in Vietnam.

So the first two are sorted. Is there any issues in getting a 3month visa if I state our itinery?

of course we will get insurance and I already have done research on that.

I am aware traffic is chaotic in asia but where isn't it really? I am always driving/riding for everyone else on the road so feel confident.

Is there anything extra I need to do/look into?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Scooter tour

AFAIK you need a Vietnamese license. To get that you need notarized translations of your license and your passport. Notarized in Vietnam, obviously.

That's what they demand in Nha Trang, I don't know about other places, as laws in the country seem to be interpreted differently depending on where you are and who you are and who the public servant is married to.

A good health plan might also be in order.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Scooter tour

A residence permit is also officially required and at least in Hanoi that stipulation is strictly enforced. Here's what the Australian Embassy in Vietnam says on the subject:

…embassy.gov.au/hnoi/Driving_in_Vietnam.html

As for the traffic and informal rules of the road, wait and see!

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Scooter tour

I would go to the Embassy at Edgecliff and outline your plans and get it all from the horses mouth. It's not as straightforward as it seems and appears to be different in different provinces.

Cheers Ross

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Scooter tour

good Idea about the embassy visit to get more info. I will have one of the other guys follow that up as I am busy getting ready for my first Vietnam trip. The countdown is on. yay!

5. Re: Planning a Scooter tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 06:17