We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi an or nha trang

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi an or nha trang

We only have 2 weeks and want to go to hanoi 2 nights, halong bay 1 night and hoh co Minh city for 2 nights so what a chill resort style holiday. It's out of hoi an and nha trang we can't do both. Which one is recommended?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

Half the followers recommend Nha Trang, the other half Hoi An. I recommend you read up on both and decide then....

Since they are quite some distance apart, look up the climate records for each for the time of your travels.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

It also depends on which month you will be traveling

Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

Nha Trang is much more touristic than Hoi An with heaps of resorts. I recommand Hoi An, definitely! :-)

leicester
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

I haven't been to Nha Trang but found Hoi An to offer a great mix of everything. It is a pretty town with lots of lovely restaurants and a pleasure to walk around both in the day or evening. It also has the beach, but we stayed about 15 mins walk from the town in a lovely hotel with a small pool and never felt the need for the beach as the hotel was perfect for us and we loved wandering in the old town. We walked/ cycled in but its a 2 usd cab fare if you don't want to. Despite warnings of mass tourism and hassle we found it full of charm and very unique. What I read about Nha Trang makes me believe some parts can be seedy and rowdy but off the beaten track is quieter and very nice with local restaurants and shops. Of course it depends when you travel as the central areas can have bad weather and floods in the typhoon season.

Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

We are going in April 2015 as its said to b great weather then

Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

Thank u everyone for your replies most say hoi an so I think that's where will go. Has anyone seen MY SON at hoi an is thus worth visit

leicester
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

Friends of ours went this trip and their feedback was that it was very touristy as in busy and lots of groups at the site. Also said the heat was relentless and the boat trip back was ok but nothing special. If you have a strong desire to view the ruins then its probably worth it but to be honest it all seemed like a typical bus trip full of visitors being herded about to us. That said many make their own way there early morning and have better things to say. Type My Son into the search box and see what others have said or alternatively look at the reviews on here.

Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

Thank u, my hubby and children don't want to go so it would have to be great for me to go on my own. Thanks appreciate your feedback

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoi an or nha trang

" most say hoi an"

There are a few of us who are getting weary trying to dismantle the myths of Nha Trang being seedy and touristy. I wonder who visits the 600 or so tailors in Hoi An if not tourists :-)

Edited: 31 July 2014, 22:38