We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Packing

Hi all,

I will be spending a month in vietnam between aug and sept. I am hoping to do some trekking and caving whilst there, trying to organise what I should take regarding trekking and caving. Should I buy all my outdoor items/ clothing whilst in hanoi??

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing

That would depend a lot on your body build.

Most but not all clothing in Hanoi is for smaller framed Asian bodies.

This means if you're size 8-10 in womens clothing or Small in mens clothing you shouldn't have a problem but the larger you go the harder it will become.

Because you are buying specific clothing and not general clothing it will be even harder.

Perhaps after doing your trekking and caving you could bundle up your unnecessary clothing and send it back home.

Hope this helps you. Pierre.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing

If I were buying caving and trekking equipment that my life depended on, I wouldn't be buying it in Vietnam!

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing

i agree - more just thinking clothing wise

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing

You can by sports/adventure clothing in VN but a lot of it will be fake. Buy the genuine stuff and it's usually more expensive than buying at home. Though to be fair I have bought "branded" rain jackets, fleeces, trainers etc in Saigon Square & they've always proved to be durable & of good quality.

AUSTRALIA
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing

must be good to have a lot of money and just buy what you want there and take nothing from home, sounds to me like Vietnam is a country of you can't have this or do this, particully the driving thing, won't recognize other country licences and driving permits

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing

Geoffrey, they don't exactly force you to visit if you don't like their rules.

AUSTRALIA
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing

well I still need to visit, and do what I need to do to travel, just sounds a bit like Canada, but i'll sse

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing

I lived in Montreal for two years, and I can assure you that, using a computer expression, Canada != Vietnam! Not even remotely.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing

Yes, Vietnam is exactly like Canada.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing

Dear Geoffrey,

Part of the joy of travelling is discovering new countries and their cultures.

Vietnamese people are some of the most friendliest people in the world but that doesn't mean that in a high tourist area there will be some who will want to pick your pockets or try and take you for a ride figuratively speaking just as they do in tourist hot spots of Rome, Paris, Cairo etc.

To gain the most out of travel you need a positive attitude.

A negative attitude will invite everything that could go wrong, to go wrong.

Call it Murphy's law, whatever, but the right attitude will make all the difference to your travel experience in Vietnam.

On a side note Australia doesn't recognise Vietnamese drivers licenses so I guess it works both ways.