We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hello

I am going to Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hoi an in November

Just wondering about my spending money ?

Is it best to take my Aussie Dollars , lock it in my hotel room safe ,and exchange as I need it ?

Or get one of those cards from the post office and load my $$ on to it ?

I have heard that ATMs can be hard to find in Vietnam ?

Any pointers from frequent travellers would be appreciated

Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Use ATMs - they're everywhere now.

Hallett Cove
Level Contributor
362 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

yo r fabulous if that is your elephant, US dollars are also very useful: but there are money changers in most larger cities/towns and there appear tp be a number of Donga Bank Branches (esp Hoi An) where you could use "Cash-passport" or even mail yourself (or rellie/friend etc) cash through "money- gram/western union" in the extreme (ie if you went broke lost your money etc).

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,942 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

Correct, bring your Aussie $ and change them up as you go . No bank fees and you will get the best rate for cash. Bring your atm cards for back up. Enjoy.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Aussie dollars but forget the travelcards from PO as the rates are not in your favour.

I am on my phone app so limited in what I can tell you but there are Aussies who will soon pop onto this thread with the best debit card to use. Bring your credit card as back up and let your bank know your movements.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Thanks , always let my bank know where I'm going

And always have my credit card :-)

When I go to Bali or Fiji , I usually take Aussie Dollars and exchange as I need it

But I used the Australia Post load and go card for Europe last year

So I should just take my cash and credit card to Vietnam like Bali ???

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

I've just finished a fabulous trip in Vietnam! US dollars are widely accepted. There are plenty of ATM machines and exchange places. I got a better rate there, which I'm sure will be the same for you. Hotels don't offer the best rate IMO.

Good luck and enjoy!

New York
Level Contributor
198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

I'm going to chime in with a question - where is the best place to exchange money? We'll be bringing USD. Is the airport the best? Or cambios vs hotels? I hadn't normally thought hotels could give a good rate, but last year in China, we found that the hotels had the best rate, much better than the airport and cambios. Which was just one surprise of many in visiting China!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,257 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

Aussie Post and other travel cards you lose about 6% due to the cruddy exchange rate they give you loading the money on. Best debit card to use (available online) is the Citibank Plus Visa Debit Card, best credit card to use (also available online) is the 28Degrees MasterCard. Both have the best exchange rate available and no foreign exchange fees or other fees besides what the overseas ATM owner institution charges to use their ATM (usually a small fee).

Use the Citibank Plus card for cash withdrawals and the 28Degrees card for credit- if you pay it off within 25 days of the statement date no interest either :-) But don't use the 28Degrees card for cash withdrawals- they charge 3% and interest applies immediately.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

Toffee275

I've just finished a fabulous trip in Vietnam! US dollars are widely accepted.

--------------

Just hope you didn't change GBP to USD to use in a country where USD isn't the de facto currency? GBP, as are AUD, just as easily changed to Dong. Dongs are used everywhere in Vietnam, other currencies like USD, are only of some use in the tourist areas. And even then you'll usually end up getting a lousy exchange rate if used in a shop / restaurant etc.

mfabulous2011 .. If there is one thing Vietnam doesn't lack in the tourist cities and towns and that is ATM's. They are nigh on everywhere

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

Thanks YorkFoodie for coming to my rescue.