We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day Itinerary

Belfast
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
10 day Itinerary

Hi,

I realise this is a very broad question and that 10 days is very little in Vietnam (well, more 9 days since I fly home on the 10th day), but I wondered what kind of itinerary I could have for this time in Vietnam?

I aim to arrive in Hanoi on the 25th September from China. And need to be in HMC on the 5th October to fly home. What could I realistically see within this timeframe? I guess I would like to see all the prettier spots and maybe chill some time on the beach/dive maybe, since I'll have done heaps of travel in China beforehand. Halong bay is definitely on the list (although I believe there is a less touristy option close to Halong bay but equally beautiful?). I'd also like to see Mekong delta and some of the tunnels from the war.

Any help on an itinerary would be appreciated. If I get a general idea, I can maybe work on the specifics from there - trains/flights, etc. Train is my preference though.

Many thanks,

M

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day Itinerary

Your time is very tight, then you cannot see whole Vietnam. Halong is "must see" place and you will spend 2 days here, this means you have 7 days left.

3 days in Hanoi, 2 days in Hoian and 2 days remaining in HCM should be suggested.

You can switch your time duration in Hanoi and Hoian based on what you want to see; culture and history or the mix of culture and beach.

Belfast
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day Itinerary

Thankyou for your reply. Why would you recommend Hoian?

Is it achievable to travel solely by train or would it it be far better to fly? My preference is by train.

Do you need to book train tickets many days before travelling?

I know my time is tight but where would be good to see a jungle-type landscape, and would it be like this around the Mekong delta?

Thanks,

M

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day Itinerary

I would agree Hoi An is a 'must'. This World Heritage site represents a bygone Vietnam. I have been twice and hope to return.

Personally I have never had enough time for rail travel and I fear you will find it will eat too much into your schedule too. As far as I am aware you would need to take the overnight train from Hanoi to Danang, arriving early afternoon and then take a taxi to Hoi An. There will be many others here though who have made the journey and will be able to advise you better.

Have a great trip.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day Itinerary

I would raise some reasons to visit Hoian as well as what you should try here

- a little and charming old town with enchanting quarter, historic temples, antique stores...

- very famous with its delicious street food and specialties namely, Cao Lau (noodle served with pork and mint), Quang noodle, Savoury Rice Cake.

Besides, you can cycle around Hoian, visit My Son temples (about 50km away); or relax on Cua Dai beach (just 5km away from the center)

You can travel by train from Hanoi to Danang and take taxi to Hoian, but it consume much time as you have to spend at least 15 hours on train. It is not a wise choice based on your time.

You can see mangrove forest in Mekong Delta, but it means you have to cut at least one day out from HCM trip.

Happy traveling

Belfast
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day Itinerary

Thanks - it looks like I should aim to see Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An, HCM and Mekong Delta. Still seems a little ambitious (and haven't included the tunnels). Should I be aiming to take a flight maybe from Hanoi to HCM, or how long is the train journey?

Can you easily get to the Mekong Delta from HCM?

Thanks.

6. Re: 10 day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16