We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

J S
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

We have a flight from Bangkok to Hanoi in mid-October. We're spending 3 or 4 days in Hanoi and 5 days on a 4wd trip around northeastern vietnam. After we return to Hanoi we can either fly to Angkor Wat for 3 days before returning to Bangkok or spend 3 more days in Vietnam.

Any thoughts from folks who've been both places?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

Angkor without a doubt.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,935 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

Yes, I would go for Angkor too. Hanoi, north-eastern Vietnam and Siem Reap will give you three highly contrasting and satisfying experiences.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

I've never traveled to Vietnam (planning on that this December) but I visited Angkor Wat last December. I HIGHLY recommend you spend a few days in Siem Reap. Angkor Wat is a must-see as are Bayon and Ta Prohm. If you do go to Angkor Wat I would encourage you to get to the ruins early in the morning and watch sunrise around the temple. It's very exciting to stand in the dark and watch the sky get progressively brighter as the towers become discernible. Just be forewarned that if you're smaller in size you will have to compete with all of the other bright camera panels in your frame as everyone is taking pictures. Early morning is also the best time to tour Angkor Wat itself as it is cooler and less crowded. After Angkor Wat my group went back to the hotel for breakfast and reconvened after lunch to see Bayon followed by Ta Prohm. Those two are best in the afternoon.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,596 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

Ankhor Wat will round the trip off nicely and will also high light the differences of the two cultures.

Enjoy your time in SEAsia.

Safe travel Dirty Pierre.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

another vote for Angkor Wat

check out www.canbypublications.com and follow the links to Angkor for lots of great info including sample itineraries.

Make sure you plan to visit Preah Khan early - its beautiful in the early light and before the bus hords get there.

For alternates to the 'zoo' that is Phnom Bakheng at sunset check out www.angkorsunset.com

J S
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

Thanks for all the advice. We just finished booking our flights so we arrive in Siem Reap on a Wednesday evening and leave for Bangkok on the following Saturday evening.

Now that we have all our flights booked I can follow all your links and plan out the days. My son and d-i-l have already been there but are looking forward to returning with me. The idea of going to Siem Reap came about when we realized that following the usual westerner tour itinerary for Vietnam involved lots of flights, so why not go someplace spectacular.

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

you got the time and energy to walk - Angkor without a doubt

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

Good choice. Make sure you don't miss Beng Mealea & Koh Ker temples. Most tourists do, for some inexplicable reason.

9. Re: Angkor Wat or more Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:15