We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hone-moon itinerary

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hone-moon itinerary

I am trying to build an itinerary for our honey- moon and having some dilemmas.

Until now we have: 1 night in Hanoi, 2 nights Halong bay and another night in Hanoi. From this point I am lost. We only have 5 days from the day we arrive from Halong Bay and the dilemma is between:

1. Taking a flight to HCMC and a bus to Mui-ne

2. Taking a flight to hoi an or maybe Nha trang

3. Going north to Sapa

Also it’s October and I am not sure about the weather in the south.

Thank you!

Mariana

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

If I was on another honeymoon I would reduce Halong bay to 1 night, and then fly to Danang from Hanoi for some romantic time in Hoi an.

I love Halong but a few hours of watching Karsts and being force-fed food and mandatory drinks is usually enough for anyone :-)

Others may disagree ;-)

Mark

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

Unfortunately October is by far the wettest month of the year in Hoi An, with the possibility of typhoons, extensive flooding and transportation disruptions.

The north has so much to offer that with only five extra days to fill it wouldn't make sense to go south. Give yourself three full days in Hanoi, and toss a coin to decide whether to go to Sapa, Ninh Binh or Mai Chau for your remaining days.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

Ooops,

I missed the October bit :-)

I agree with CB, and on that note would suggest Ninh binh. Boat rides through pristine grottos, amazing landscapes and the serenity that goes with it. Absolutely awesome and an experience that I will never forget.

Plenty of romantic moments to be had in Hanoi as well IMO.

Mark

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

I agree with CB.

Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Mai Châu requires the least amount of travel.

You can also afford to be flexible with your travel plan on such a route, in October.

Congrats and cheers

John

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

Thank you for such a quick answer. Does this kind of stormy weather applay also to Mui-ne?

Sapa, Vietnam
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

Hello

That time is storm time in the southern Vietnam but not every day, if you lucky, you will not meet the storm.

spend Sapa for 2 days to discover rice fields and ethnic people ( you can take train or sleeping bus to Sapa)

Have a good trip

Sapa original trek

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

Thank you very much!! You helped me a lot! We probably will travel north to Ninh Binh or sapa and pass the beach..

Can you recomend a good travel agency? should we book hotels in advance?

I appriciate your help!

Mariana

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

Mariana you do not need a travel agent, or not unless you are unwilling to put in sufficient research time to arrive at precisely what you want, rather than what other people think you might want. Or worse, in the case of travel agents, what suits them best and/or reaps the greatest profits.

There are gazillions of previous posts on the Vietnam forum covering every possible topic you could think of. The search box is quite useful in that regard, although it's far from perfect. For suggestions on Ninh Binh (I love that province!) and Sapa, trawl through the questions and replies on the relevant sub-forums.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

I'm thinking it can be a bit overwhelmed with all the wedding plans and honeymoon plans and such.

I'm guessing M likes to have some beach time, which Mui Ne normally can provide in October.

It should be OK there, weatherwise, usually (but no guarantee.)

I would suggest to skip Mai Chau, if that is the OP's wish.

Cheers,

John

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with hone-moon itinerary

Also, with a limited amount of time on hand, I think it's a good idea to choose your destinations and to prebook your hotel rooms beforehand (still no need for a travel agent, just more readings and deciding on what one wants.)

For a Ha Long bay cruise, for example, there are many suggestions here on TA (using the search function) depending on the level of luxury and comfort.

Cheers,

John