We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deposit to VN travel agent

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Deposit to VN travel agent

We have been asked to pay 30% deposit at time of booking and the balance on Day 4 of a 14 day tour. What is the usual practice in VN for deposits to travel agents booked over the internet? Should we retain something eg. 10 or 20% until the end of the trip in case there are problems? I don't won't to be unfair and understand they have to pay operators, drivers, etc but after reading some of the tales on this forum I feel I need to be a bit cautious. Thank you.

Auckland
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

Hi,my wife and I have recently spent 3 weeks in Vietnam.We dealt with a travel agent via the internet [Aurora Travel] We paid no deposit.When we arrived in Ho Chi Minh they came to our hotel and we paid them cash in US dollars.It was extra if we had used a credit card

The only problem we had was in Hanoi when the hotel tried to put us in an inferior room saying this is what the agent booked.A call to the agent soon sorted that out.The problem was the people that had our room had been given a late check out

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

Thank you Polish1. Good to know the travel agent did the correct thing for you.

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

hi handy

tonkins travel do not charge anything up front , they are in hanoi and will come to youfor payment , if you start in saigon , they will wait till you get to hanoi for payment ...this is what clinched the deal for me , they have very competitive prices as well.

Email: tonkintravel@fpt.vn

Web: www.tonkintravel.com

hope this helps

battling

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

Thank you fellow Aussie. It sounds like the same sort of arrangement. I have been in discussion with Paradise Travel based in Hanoi. I pay when I get to Hanoi where they are based but they want 30% at time of booking which I accept as tickets have to be bought. Thank you..

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

hi handy

i wouldnt pay it ... theres no 30% with tonkins ...nothing till you get over there at all...but its up to you, but i know i wouldnt be paying anything upfront as many in the forum have warned against doing this in the past.

cheers

battling

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

interesting comment polish.

I booked Camellia 2 two months before I got to vietnam with Aurora Travel as well and was not asked to pay a deposit nor did I pay for hotel until I left ( whereas you had tour as well?)

Had problems at Camellia 2 ( asked for deluxe room on lower floor due to ankle injury and ended up in a very non deluxe room on second floor on street - really noisy and bathroom a real shocker. I was told Id be moved, then the next day that no room available to move me to. When I went down to camellia 4 and established they had a room , all of a sudden Camellia 2 found me a room ( At Camellia 4 the rooms were better , hotel had a lift and actually looked nice - eg. no flaking paint) Im not blaming Aurora for that situation. Having said this about camellia 2 - the staff were really good and food fine, it was the hotel itself that was really needing an overhaul along with some of their business practices!

A few weeks later I emailed them as I was trying to find accomodation in HCMC and after 4 emails the price of room kept going up and they asked for full credit card details.

It must vary according to time frames. I wasnt happy either about sending credit card details so I booked elsewhere.

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

Treat VietNam as a world destination!

They do not need faxes of the front AND ESPECIALLY THE REAR of your credit card.

They will not have to outlay much of your money to retain sub-contractors - so this deposit is money in their bank account.

The idea of copies of both sides of a credit card is to claim CARD PRESENT type of transaction when it is a CNP - Card Not Present - which strengthens your claims about any false charges.

The ONLY INFORMATION to be supplied from the rear of your credit card is the C V V number (3-digits on signature panel) - and NEVER a copy.

Vietnamese traders now are well familiar with procedures and no longer need special treatment. If the trader has a problem - tell them to contact their merchant support centre.

And keep your money where it belongs - in your pocket.

Except for TET there is no need to be concerned about finding accommodation - there is plenty of accommodation. Can't find any? Ask a policeman - they are duty bound to find you legitimate accommodation.

sel.malaysia
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

Do not set a precedent.Pay only when you reach there.Travel agent at Vietnam is a very compectitive business ,do not let them hold you in ransom.

Not to worry,plenty of agents would like to do business with you upon arrival!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

Thank you for advice todate. I should also add that the tour includes 3 internal flights with Vietnam Airlines. I assumed they would need to pay the airline at the time of booking the flights. They are asking for 30% deposit to be paid to them via www.xoom.com which they say is a secure payment website. We have also just had advice from VNAT that this company does not have an International Travel Licence. I gather VN law does not insist that travel agents hold this licence. Thank you.

10. Re: Deposit to VN travel agent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2007, 00:36