We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great passionfruit concentrate

Which Da Lat hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Great passionfruit concentrate

Whilst in Dalat recently I came across some fantastic passionfruit concentrate in the market place. It comes in a plastic one litre bottle, priced around 55000VND. There were a couple of brands available and both very full of pulp and plenty of seeds and lots of flavour. I diluted it with water for morning drinks, which I found very refreshing and if I had vodka and soda or other mixers I think it would also make a great long drink for the afternoon sessions. I am trying to source it elsewhere but have not seen it yet. Any information on where else I could get it, especially in Australia, would be appreciated.

Greg

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

Dalat, Vietnam
Level Contributor
43 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

Yes, passionfruit is my favorite drink daily. That is a special fruit in Dalat. I love it since i live in Dalat.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,474 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

Greg I'm a pasho addict and would like to hear if you are successful in finding it. What was the brand name if you can get it ?

Cheers Ross

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

You can easily make it at home. Just put the flash along with the seeds (what other choices do you really have) and a little bit of water (sugar is optional) into a blender (with a filter) and start up the machine. Then pour the juice into some container and put it in the fridge. If you haven't added sugar in already you can do with each use. This way I can control my sugar intake and know what's really in my drink.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,537 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

Try the undiluted concentrate over crushed ice -YUM! I love Dalat for the Central Market and their fruits in many forms.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

FeetOnTheRoad, I grew up in Australia - from where Greg and Ross hail - and believe me the variety/varieties of passionfruit grown there were (and probably still are) are a world apart from the variety grown in Vietnam.

No matter which varieties of fresh passionfruit Greg and Ross can buy in Australia (and they would slit their wrists at the appalling ones occasionally available in the UK at huge cost) they cannot be compared to the ones grown in Vietnam's Central Highlands. Many years ago, after a motorbike trip from Hoi An to Dalat, I flew back to Hanoi from Dalat with many kilos of passionfruit grown by my motorbike guide on his small farm, and I have never, ever tasted any as good as those.

So to hell with the sugar content, I too would like some of the extract processed in the Dalat area if the indigenous contingent on this forum could come up with some useful information about other places in Vietnam where it can be purchased.

And of course in Australia for Greg and Ross!

One lives in hope.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

Hi Ross, I have a label from one bottle of the juice. I have taken a photo but not sure how to attach it here. Can anyone help me out please?

Greg

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

You can't attach photos to TA postings Greg.

You either have to upload the photo to some or other hosting site and provide a link to that (on the forum or by PM), or swap email addresses and attach your photo to an email.

California
Level Contributor
675 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

If you are in Hoi an you really need to treat yourself to a passion fruit mojito (or two or five) at the Life Resort. One of the real treats in life when the weather is steaming hot. You don't have to stay at the Life Resort to stop for a few at the bar. Passion Fruit ice cream is another wonderful treat. Can't say enough good things about Passion Fruit no matter how it is prepared. Unfortunately, you can't find then around here.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 23:33
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great passionfruit concentrate

Thanks CB, I am trying to work out a translation of what is written. Ross I will get back to you with the information.

Greg