We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Halong tour starting in Hanoi in afternoon

1 post
Save Topic
Overnight Halong tour starting in Hanoi in afternoon

It seems all overnight tours depart from Hanoi in the morning. Are there any ovenight tours that start from Hanoi around noon or later, and return to Hanoi the following night? Or, if I find my own transportation to Halong Bay, are there any overnight cruises that start just before sunset? I would like to spend a morning in Hanoi before leaving for Halong. Alternatively, I could go to Halong on a day tour, but most people seem to recommend the overnight experience on the bay, because the time on the water on the day tour is brief. As a second alternative, I could find my own transportation to Halong in the evening, overnight in Halong, and then try to take a 6- or 8-hour cruise the next day.

2 replies to this topic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,657 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Halong tour starting in Hanoi in afternoon

AFAIK all cruises head out from the dock around mid-day, spend the afternoon cruising round and anchor for the night. Next morning they cruise around a bit more & head back to the dock, offloading one load of passengers and picking up the next batch

Edited: 22 October 2017, 12:20
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Halong tour starting in Hanoi in afternoon

Please don't do a day trip to Halong. If takes an average of a 8hr commute there and back from Hanoi.

Consider shuttles that go the new Toll highway eg; Azalea or Orchid which cuts one way down to 1.5hrs.

All cruises leave Hanoi around 8 to 9am then back in Hanoi 2 to 5pm (depending on what shuttle you take).

Consider flying into or out of Haiphong, rather than Hanoi (nearer).

Don't try to squeeze too much in or you won't enjoy it. You could spend 2 or 3 days just in Hanoi. Remember, Halong Bay (proper) is very touristy with loads of boats doing the same things going to the same places and the water is full of rubbish. Just a thought when you are so limited for time. The cruises advertise 2 days, 1 night, in reality you are no more than 24 hrs on the water and on a very tight schedule, no real relaxing time. Do look at some reviews as many people say the same things, before you make your decision.

Reply to: Overnight Halong tour starting in Hanoi in afternoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted