We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay Junks

Which Halong Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Halong Bay Junks

Has anyone got a view on the value of U$75 for Santa Maria Junk 2d/1n cruise vs Ginger Junk for U$235.? Is Santa Maria quaint or down at heel?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong Bay Junks

really?

both ginger and santa maria are pretty luxurious junks, as far as i'm aware. (just looking at net, and when we went to their office in hanoi)is yours a fake santa maria junk? beware copies!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay Junks

Go thru previous posts on the Santa Maria. Thats what I based my choice on. I wouldn't call it luxurious, but it was clean and tidy and the food was good. The Santa Maria has about 7 cabins so you dont have a big crowd of people to put up with, which suited me fine. They pretty much all go to the same place, and anchor in the same area overnight. One good thing about the SM is all rooms are on the deck and have a window with a view, I believe some of the bigger junks, you have to stipulate you want a deck room, or you are below deck and no view. For the difference in price I would go on the SM again - no problem.

Cheers Heather

melbourne
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay Junks

re Santa Maria

Just make sure you dont get rooms 301 or 302 they are on the same floor as the dining room. They are much smaller and yet you have to pay the same price !!!!!!

Everything else was fine

Marian

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong Bay Junks

Heath- sorry to contradict you but they don't all anchor in the same place- we went on Bhaya -very gorgeous junk- and it anchored with only the Emeraude in the distance- we were quite alone hardly saw any other junks whilst sailing along either.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay Junks

Hi Maz, yep I knew they dont all anchor in the same place, I remember your saying so, plus my hubby did a tour earlier in the year and he stayed away from the majority. But not me.... We had to have the only karaoke junk right next to us.

Sydney
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay Junks

Hi,

Could the real cost of the 1 night/2 day Santa Maria cruise please be posted (or just send me a pm).

Weighing up whether to go up to Hanoi and Halong Bay, when we start and finish in HCMC.

Thanks,

Shanan.

Sydney
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Halong Bay Junks

Ignore my question.

Found this post;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293923-i9984-k863…

Regards,

Shanan.

tc2
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halong Bay Junks

Hi,

As a middle ground, how about the Lagoon Explorer by Tropical Sails - about $120USD (or $150 if travelling alone). I stayed on it at the beginning of November and it was one of the highlights of my trip to Vietnam.

Its only a small group - 8 people maximum (4 cabins). The food, rooms and boat are excellent. They have 2 boats which seem to be pretty much the same. There were only 5 people on my trip and 7 people on the other boat. I will post some photos soon (I've only just got back :) )

Cheers,

Theresa

sydney
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halong Bay Junks

please post photos for lagoon explorer. Does each room have ensuite?

los angeles
Level Contributor
432 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halong Bay Junks

tc2, did you book lagoon explorer with tropical sails or through an agent? thanks.