We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I get my own room on a junk?

Which Halong Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
548 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can I get my own room on a junk?

I'm going to be in Vietnam in November and am really excited to see Halong Bay and am traveling alone. I plan on using the time on the boat to completely relax and really would prefer to have my own room on the junk boat.

Has anyone done this before? It looks like the fee structure is per person and so would I have to pay for the number of beds in the room? I also heard that you can pay a "surplus" which I'm assuming is an extra fee added to the original cost. How much more is this? Would I need to book in advance or could I just book something (with my own room) upon arriving in Hanoi? Any help on this one is much appreciated! Thanks in advance. :-)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,218 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I get my own room on a junk?

If you have your heart set on a particular junk, then pre-booking is the way to ensure getting a berth. If not, there are hundreds of junks in Ha Long Bay so you should be able to find one booking from Ha Noi.

I'm not sure whether you'd have to pay for both bunks but as an educated guess I'd say yes, as this is what you have to do on the trains. Otherwise expect a hefty single person's supplement just like you'd pay if taking a package tour pretty well anywhere in the world. Of course, you could get lucky and score a room to yourself without paying extra, but you couldn't depend on it.

Junk tours aren't necessarily terribly expensive by Western standards so even paying for two it's still affordable, unless you go on one of the super luxury junks.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I get my own room on a junk?

Some packages for the single travellers:

- Phoenix Cruise (2 days 1 night): US$ 150

- Lagoon Explorer (2 days 1 night): US$ 210

- Red Dragon Cruise (2 days 1 night): US$ 250

- Indochina Sails ( 2 days 1 night): US$ 420

- Princess Junk (2 days 1 night): US$ 700- this is a crewed prepaid charter boat.

You will have a single cabin on board with private bath room and A/C

We reccommend you to book the packages before hand as It is high season in Nov.

Best regards

3. Re: Can I get my own room on a junk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 12:22