We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea sick - will this be a problem?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
55 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Sea sick - will this be a problem?

Hi there,

Am really exciting with all the cruise stories am just wondering if sea sickness would be a problem? Am looking at going this July. I tried Star Cruises and didnt have any problem with my sea sickness. I wonder if seasickness would be a problem with Ha Long Junk/Cruise. Your reply would determine if we go for a 1 night cruise or go and get a 2 night cruise.

Am leaning towards Pinta or Red Dragon, any particular itinerary or activity I should make sure we do or just leave it to their standard offers? Also I saw the Top Gear episode and would want to try the restaurant they went to, is it any good? and is the resto part of the itineraries?

Thanks a lot.

-benz

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

Hi My mum gets chronic seasick usually..but the water at halong bay was as flat as a pancake and you could hardly feel the boat move. I think you'd be very very unlucky to get seasick.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
55 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

Thank you very much Swampee. This is great info :)

-Benz

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
649 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

We have just done the Pinta Gold trip which was excellent. Lovely boat, great food and a great time was had by all. You can book direct with them on their website. They will take your credit card number for a 50% deposit if you fail to show up but don't actually take the money out of your account unless your cancel.

Some passengers were doing one night and others two nights. The general consensus was that the 24 hours on the boat for the one night trip was just the perfect amount of time. You get to do everything and leave before you get tired of it.

I am the queen of seasickness but didn't have any problem on calm Halong Bay.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
55 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

Thanks AprilInVietnam, now that I am leaning towards 2 night cruises. Next would be hoping for a good July weather. We went to HCMC last year June and the weather was great.

Thanks guys.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

I just have to look at rough seas and I start feeling green. Howver we had the best sleep of our first VN holiday on the boat in Ha Long Bay.

As far as I am aware, the 2nd night is on Cat Ba Island, they transfer you off the boat. I don't think any cruises have the clients stay aboard both nights.

Dawlish, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

Pancake flat for us. We went on Huong Hai Junks for one night. How about 3 meals of 8, 10 and 6 courses and the service was terrific. The bedrooms were really nice, with a hot shower in the wetroom. I'd recommend them without hesitation.

Toronto
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

I have issues with motion sickness on a boat and in a car. I found Halong Bay very calm and did not have any problems. I also brought along with me these wrist bands called Sea bands or anti-nausea bands. The wrist bands have a small ball, that when used properly they apply pressure on your pressure points to help relieve nausea. I used these on long bus rides and they were amazing! I didn't use them on my first car ride and had terrible headaches for the rest of the day. From then on, I wore them and I didn't feel sick at all. For anyone who experiences motion sickness, I would highly recommend these bands. I found them at my local pharmacy.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

Hi BenzRana,

Contrary to the other posters, I experienced a few short hours of light motion-sickness on the Ha Long cruise even though the waters are really calm. I've never had problems with motion-sickness so it could also be attributed to something I ate. I would bring along medication just in case.

We spent one night on the boat and one night on Monkey Island in a bungalow. There really isn't much to do on the island besides rest and relaxation (and more kayaking if you're up for it). My bf and I quite enjoyed our experience and the beautiful scenery.

Happy traveling! :)

UK
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

Hi Benz

Had a whole day out on a wooden sailing boat (usually the worse kind of boat for sickness!) in Halong Bay and not a twinge of sickness. My husband is very prone to sickness and was also fine.

Really don't let this worry you the beauty of Halong bay is breath taking, you mustn't miss it!

LW-UK:-)

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea sick - will this be a problem?

Not a chance at all. The boat moves so slowly, you are not even aware of it, and the water is as flat as anything.

I have just done the Pinta, my review is on the way, absolutely fantastic boat and company. I have photos if you want including the cabin.