We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the middle of planning my trip to Indochina and am thinking about a junk cruise for a night in Halong Bay - is this the best way to see it? Currently considering the Dragon's Pearl/Red Dragon but am worried about the safety.

We are going in July when I hear tropical storms can occur, how likely is this? And is sleeping on the boat safe at night? I'm not great with water!

Also how safe is the kayaking? Do people get wet or are they good kayaks? Is it safe to swim in the water?

Sorry if I paranoid! Thanks for any help

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

Junk cruises usually have to return to base when storms threaten. They can and do get fined for staying out. But like most things in life all forms of travel have risks. And yes, there have been accidents. eturbonews.com/11949/tourists-dead-after-boa…

You can swim in the water but ALL sea water anywhere in the world can have things in it that might not be good for your health. Just don't swallow too much.

Comparing it to say crossing the road here I'd say being on a Junk is fairly safe in the grand scheme of things.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

We did a trip a three years ago with two kids (17 and 13) and had a lot of fun both on the boat and in the kayaks. Trust your instincts and use your judgment regarding the weather and conditions when kayaking. I probably wouldn't swim in the water, but I didn't worry about kayaking.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

Storms are only in the summer, Halong should be very fine.

Think those junks are well equipped with international standard that would not worry you at all.

Happy cruise.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

Bertie- ALL seawater inbthe world can have harmful bugs.

Very obviously you have never been in oz or nz.

Sea water and sun is a good cure for acne etc for a start- trad aussie cure. Cuts, sores etc similarly where i live now.

I think you need to revisit your assertion re: seawater.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

if you have a cut any swimming in any popular thailand beach will get the cut infected.

in vietnam 10 times more i assume from the general pollution situation.

anybody has ever analyzed air in District1 in HCMC or the water in Nha Trang or Halong Bay?

a marginal note, i cannot swim, can i go on a junk with a safe vest? :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

We were in Vietnam 2 years ago and did the Halong Bay trip including kayaking.

In Australia I'm sure the OH&S would be stricter but it was fun and quite safe. We climbed overboard on a rope ladder into the kayak, were given a paddle and pushed away from the boat to fend for ourselves while other passengers got into their kayak. You have a life jacket on and the kayak is very stable and safe. My wife and I are in our 50's, as were others on the trip, and although none of us had ever kayaked before we had no trouble.

There are two people to eack kayak. Don't worry you will be fine, the worst that will happen is you may have sore arms and shoulders.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

Skeggles,

Bertie- ALL seawater inbthe world can have harmful bugs.

Very obviously you have never been in oz or nz. Sea water and sun is a good cure for acne etc for a start- trad aussie cure. Cuts, sores etc similarly where i live now.

I think you need to revisit your assertion re: seawater.

------

Hardly Skeggles, i use to work in the water industry. And to date I've yet to see a treatment works located at sea cleaning up after sea gulls, fishes poo or anything else that gets deposited into the sea. Things like flags for cleanliness etc usually have more to do with how clean a beach is rather than how safe the sea is to drink.

I'll give you that great strides have been made in treating sewage that discharges into the sea (at quite some cost), even to the extent of using UV's, membrane plants etc but you will never sanitise all the sea.

8. Re: Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 November 2010, 00:35
9. Re: Are the cruises safe? And does anyone fall in when kayaking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2011, 05:17