We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Which Halong Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
3 posts
Save Topic
the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

we're doing vietnam on a tight budget...

- it seems like the consensus is a halong bay cruise is a must-do - is this true?

- if so, what sort of starting price can we expect, for something decent?

- and can anyone recommend a company or operator?

thanks in advance..

66 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Hello, I am looking for some 1 night cruise options. I have read reviews of Indochina, AuCO, Paradise, Paloma etc and checked their prices on the website. For 2 adults the price is $310 upwards ( for Paloma) including transfer from Hanoi. Is this reasonable? Au Co is far too expensive for my budget. Or shall I wait to get to Hanoi and make a choice then?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Chandra there are so many junks on Halong Bay that it's always possible to book one at short notice.

Your hotel will no doubt be able to offer a wide range to suit all budgets, and to make a booking for you. Think in terms of $150 per person for a very good one-night, mid-range cruise, less if there's a special promotion at the time you're there.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

I think it would be better for you to book it after you come to Hanoi , As there is a unlimited amount of options, and you can get a 1 day cruise , includes return motor coach , Lunch on a wooden boat as well as 2 stops on Ha Long Bay , about a 5 hour cruise with the stops , and 4 hours each way on a bus from hanoi . all for about 24 usd , if you want a overnight in Ha Long Bay either on a boat or at a hotel , add another 25 usd per person for the budget option . I booked a 1 day tour , and I paid only 19 usd . But i had to Bargain . The nicer the hotel the more it cost , the smaller the hotel the cheapest options they will have . Also remember when you go on the tour Drink prices will be at a premium charge . usually water is free on the way there and back .

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Thanks guys. I like Red Dragon and Dragon Pearl junks. I have got a quote from travel agent for $160 per person including "luxury bus" transfer for Dragon Pearl and $210 for Red Dragon. Reasonable? Or can I beat this price in Hanoi?

Edited: 03 June 2014, 09:58
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Hi Chandra,

With Indochina Junk, if you wait until you are in Hanoi, the cruises might not be available any more as the cruises are very well-reputed and often fully booked ahead.

I don't think that you will find better rates in Hanoi for Indochina Junk cruises as the company offer the same contract to all hotels and travel agents. Their contract rates are just a bit lower than their public rates.

Happy travels!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Thank you, yes they seem to be booked pretty quickly. Paloma cruises are offering $30 cheaper than Dragon Pearl and I like their iternary too which includes caves, kayaks and cooking classes. Any clue why they are cheaper? They seem to be pretty similar in class ( routes are different I agree).

Edited: 03 June 2014, 11:49
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Chandra, Paloma cruise is one of the cruises which offer greatest summer promotions: better rates & free round trip transfer two ways (from 1 June - 30 Sept), so the cruise prices is USD 30 less expensive per person than Dragon's Pearl. It's correct that Dragon's Pearl and Paloma is pretty similar in class. Itineraries are different. Dragon's Pearl only explore Bai Tu Long bay while Paloma go to BOTH Halong bay and Bai Tu Long bay, so you will not miss the largest and most beautiful Surprise cave in Halong bay with Paloma cruise. Another factor is that cabins on Paloma cruise are quite larger than Dragon's Pearl. Both cruises get highly recommended for their great services.

Hope this helps!

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Hey, I'm looking for some nice halong bay cruise. Unfortunately I dont have the budget like Chandra. I'm thinking about a 2D1N tour for my girlfriend and me for about 100-250$ in total (transfer could cost an extra 25$..).

Is it possible to find a nice junk in this price range? I read earlier that Huong Hai Junks can be good. Are they still good? Thanks guys

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Hi LaKryz,

Glory cruise get high recommendations from customers, received Certificate of Excellence award on tripadvisor in 2014. Prices just around USD 226 for both of you with transfer round trip already included.

Cheers,

Halong Bay Legends Travel!

Edited: 31 July 2014, 01:06
Leuven, Belgium
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?

Do you remember where you've rented the boat tour?

Kind regards

Reply to: the cheapest decent Halong bay cruise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted