We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

We are in our "sixties" and want to travel to Nha Trang by train (will depart HCMC) to visit friends in June. It has been suggested that the 6.30am train is the best one ( one web-site told me there is no such train?)and to get 2 lower berths in a 4 berth cabin!! Has anyone done this trip (soft berth/soft seat). Is 2 days before departure enough time to book the tickets. How long does it take to get to the station by taxi from the city. Any tips/hints etc WHATSOEVER would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to a few replies soon.

nha trang
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

i came by train from Saigon to Nha trang 1 week ago.

my parents are over so the train se8 was the best choice.

departs 6.30am arrives 1:30 or 2. we choose soft seat so the folks can see the country side as this is their first trip.

can recline the seats about 20 degrees. enough leg room baggage space etc. It had western toilet that flushes to the ground below.

The girlfriend paid at the train station 277.000 each for the soft seats.

Not used the births on this leg but other legs have been good.

I believe next month will be a busy period so book early if thats the case during holiday periods. Outside holiday periods 2 days is fine. Travel agent can organise for you and they charge a percentage on top. Some one can answer if any holidays in June for you.

Taxi from tourist area in Saigon to train station was not far think ten minutes - more if busy time.

There are shops open at the train station at that time if you forget to buy some thing.

a cart goes around so you can have some drinks and some food later.

There was a food carriage but i did not go to it.

Its all easy, you wont have any problems.

train info and map

http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

seat61.com/Map-southeast-asia-train-routes.h…

enjoy

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,553 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

It is commonly recommended to take a whole 4 berth cabin as sometimes the noise in the carriage is very high with children running around. If you take 2 berths in a 4 berth cabin that will be worse. These trains are not the most comfortable and there are many reports of filthy conditions, although as the Train you are looking starts at HCMC it more than likely will be freshly cleaned.

Really the best option is flying due to the low cost on domestic flights in VN.

If you do decide on the train (there isn't much to look at) then I suggest you get your Hotel to make your booking for you, but watch the cost.

Cheers Ross

nha trang
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

My parents enjoyed the scenery. As the train moves between provinces the landscape changes from different type of trees being grown to the rice fields.

The step father was commenting on no tractors until alter seeing the mechanical devices etc.

If you in to seeing the country then train is best. can look at how farmers adapt devices to work on the land.

the train was clean and my parents enjoyed the trip.

Enjoy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

Thanks so much for the info (vietnamrunm). We have decided still to take the train as our friends will meet us at the station in Nha Trang.

Now not so sure about the 4 berth cabin though (thanks Ross) . I quess if we booked the two lower berths the other two occupants would be on the top berths for the whole trip and not running around!!

Maybe the soft seats would be ok, as they recline. MMMmmmmm still thinking which to go with.

nha trang
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

Its all part of the experience. Try the soft seat, on this leg of the trip. If you decide you did not like it you can pass on the remainder of the trip and give the berth a try.

If you are lucky you meet a couple of future friends or at least said hello to two strangers.

If you dont have much time the internal flights are cheap.

enjoy

6. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 18:47
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

What date in June...we are in our 50s doing the same trip on tne 3rd!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

Hi, My husband and I will be arriving in HCMC on June 17 and departing for Nha Trang (on the train!) on June 20. Our friends suggested this is the way to go. It takes about 8 hours and is during daylight hours. I don't want to arrive at their place after midnight as they are volunteers and start work early!

I know the airfares are really cheap but this trip is already pencilled in so will sort it out soon. We are flying from Nha Trang to Hanoi and then on to Laos (Luang Brabang which we haven't visited before) and the fares are exceptionally good value - booked on-line - Vietnam Airlines (used them once before) very efficient booking process - unlike the train....

How long are you spending in Vietnam? Have you been before? Hoi An is a nice historic town and very peaceful - compared to HCMC

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,192 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

The 06:30 departure is SE8, which operates at 'busy' times. Contact an agency such as www.vietnamimpressive.com and they'll be able to tell you a couple of months ahead if the SE8 is cheduled to run that date.

As this is a daytime journey, a soft seat would be fine. The SE8 uses modern (1990s-built) air-conditioned soft seats cars which are pretty comfy, as long as you remember you're visiting Vietnam not Switzerland.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang Train

Oh no...only busy times...but its on the timetable!!First trip to vietnam.So excited!