We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much should we tip the crew?

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
50 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
How much should we tip the crew?

We have booked a 2 night/3 day cruise around Halong Bay next month. I was just wondering how much should we tip the crew? Also should we tip in US Dollars or local currency?

Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

Generally the guests get together and discuss the tip. Its easier and the blame is shared if it is a lousy tip :-)

My experience anyway.

Mark

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

The country currency is the Dong and "tip" is a word used only in USA.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

Have to disagree Maurizio,

In the States its a given that you tip every time and I find that ridiculous.

If you are on holidays and receive a great service, you have the option to tip.

We were in Hoi an for my 50th birthday and the staff made a wonderful effort to put flowers in the room and local lollies on our pillows and it was really nice. I tipped them a lousy 10,000 dong and thanked them and the next day when we returned to our room they had left a message on our bed in rose petals saying thankyou.

I agree though that Vn should not emulate the American tipping system, but for services above and beyond, give them a tip.

IMO

Mark

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

When I went to Halong Bay in April last year (2 days/1 night) I was with a Vietnamese friend, who insisted that 50,000 dong from the both of us was sufficient for the crew. The tour guide, who was particularly good, received the same amount.

I believe that on some cruises empty envelopes are handed out to all passengers so that they can put their tips in them. No such solicitation took place on our boat and tipping was completely optional.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
50 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

Thanks for the responses.

When I booked the tour it clearly states: Not included drinks and tips.

The word 'tip' being used by a Vietnamese (not American) company.

I am also aware of the local currency being called a Dong. Just asking which currency they prefer ason my recent visit to Cambodia they preferred US Dollars. I also paid for the trip itself in US Dollars.

I have also read reviews on here where someone gave a tip (that was expected!!) and was informed they had not left enough!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

When we were on the Dragons cruise after the crew was presented to us on the last day the cruise manager did say that any tip would be greatly appreciated but at our discretion and was in no way expected but needless to say we all gave something.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

think I ended tipping around 400K when all said and done. :)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

This is a topic which we debated and emailed about lots before we went away. My parents were in Vietnam two years ago and no-one was tipping then and it wasn't discussed, expected or even noticed. One of my workmates a year ago and it was just just starting to be expected. We went last month and in some places we were asked to tip. I emailed our cruise company before I went asking about tipping. I believe I paid a fair price and expected excellent service. The company advised that tipping is not taken into account in the crew wages and is definitely not compulsory. Its an interesting topic in Vietnam because we were advised by some locals that tipping is bad and they don't want in it their country. It is pushing up prices and inflation rates. And people are wanting to work in tourism rather than the village jobs. The woman particularly advise that men have more money to spend on alcohol. It is not a part of Vietnam culture, but is even being asked for now by some. I would rather pay a fair price for fair service. In my country we do not tip, and I was advised by locals this is the same in their country.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

Never tipped on a Halong Bay cruise and never felt uncomfortable about it.

I figured I had contributed enough when I paid 400,000VND for a bottle of Dalat red to have with dinner!!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much should we tip the crew?

me neither- never tipped anything on our Halong Bay cruises- admittedly though the last time I went to Halong was 3 year's ago

I did notice last year that tipping was way more prevalent all over Vietnam, so much so that I felt more inclined/pressured/expected to tip more than I ever did in the past.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 05:18