We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Junk for a family with young kids?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which Junk for a family with young kids?

Hello

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 boys aged 5 and 9. We will have 5 days in Hanoi in July and would like to go on a 1 or 2 night cruise in Halong Bay. What boat/junk would you recommend for a family with kids? Is it better to go on a 1 or 2 night cruise? Also, what is the cheapest way to book cruises - through an agent in Hanoi or directly with the boat company or online? If you could recommend any good agent/websites, it would be greated appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,115 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Junk for a family with young kids?

This question was asked last week. Try the search box in the top right hand corner and I'm sure you'll find some answers : )

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Junk for a family with young kids?

We were on the Dragon's Pearl and there was a young family on that and they had a great time, the crew made a real fuss of the kids but it depends on your budget. Also if you do book with one of the Indochina junk company boats and stay 2 nights the dinner on the last night is in a cave.

Mentioned in this post
Indochina Junk
Indochina Junk
4,575 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Junk for a family with young kids?

We have booked the indochina junk Prince 2 for 3 nights/2 days in early April. As we have a 2 and 9 year old I did a lot of research before deciding. I wanted a smaller boat (this has 4 cabins) and I wanted to travel to a quieter area which this company does. Personally I thought it was too far to travel with kids for only 1 night. After receiving some quotes which were all pretty similar I ended up booking through our Hanoi hotel as we are staying there before and after the cruise. This company has great reviews on tripadvisor and if you can wait until April I will post a review!

Vietnam
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Junk for a family with young kids?

You may consider to book the boat that have large public area and sundeck so your kids do not feel that they are squizzed on the boat. Indochina Junks is very good but they have very small dining cars and public area. To go to the same area I suggest Treasure Junk. They have also many board games aboard. The suite room can accommodate your family and it comes as an very economic option for luxury boat.

Mentioned in this post
Treasure Junk
Treasure Junk
355 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Junk for a family with young kids?

We are a family of 4 who have just done indochina junk with dragons pearl. I cant comment on other boats. We loved our cruise. There were 6 kids the same age and they all bonded and had a fabulous time. The large sundeck and outdoor dining areas on dragon pearl are lovely. But go for 3 days 2 nights if you can and experience dinner in the cave. Your children will remember that forever. Mine will

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Junk for a family with young kids?

Halong Emotion, Glory, Paloma, these boats have family cabins and quite big boats which makes you feel safer. Indochina Junk boats are small and would be ideal if you love privacy and a different itinerary. Check price online on Visitwonders. com and Best price vn. com. It is cheaper to book with agent.

Mentioned in this post
Indochina Junk
Indochina Junk
4,575 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Junk for a family with young kids?

I am second for Treasure Junk as well. A great boat and great tour. Their suite for family is very nice and good value. The activities are very good for your kids: kayak, night squid fishing, sampan boat to floating village. Your kid may be able to visit the school on fishing village so they can compare and appreciate their school at home.

Mentioned in this post
Treasure Junk
Treasure Junk
355 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Melbourne
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Junk for a family with young kids?

Thanks a lot for advice, I think I am inclined towards Treasure Junk, so will book it!

Mentioned in this post
Treasure Junk
Treasure Junk
355 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
9. Re: Which Junk for a family with young kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 05:15