We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

If you had to choose between the two for a 2D/1N luxury cruise in early October which bay is better and why?

1. Re: Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 12:04
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

They are essentially the same place.

Bai Tu Long is just a small part of the greater Halong Bay area. Boats leave from the same place. Scenery is essentially the same. Only major difference is that not as many boats are allowed into Bai Tu Long. So it's quieter, particularly at night, cleaner because of the reduced traffic, and you don't see as many other junks during your cruise.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

Hi!

Now visit BaiTuLong bay will be best choice. Not busy, not much tourist, clean. Good cruise with good service are Reg Dragon cruise, Paloma Cruise, Bhaya cruise.

Enjoy! -:)

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
251 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

We went on a Halaong Bay over night trip and Bai Tu Long cruise staying overnight on Quan Lan Island.

They left from different ports, after our Halong Bay trip we drove north to board our boat for Bai tu Long Bay.

The Halong Bay Pier was extremely crowded with tourists, how ever once all the boats had left the harbour they spread out so when we moored for the night there were only a couple of boats in the distance.

At the pier for Bai Tu Long Bay we were the only tourist boat and it was very interesting to watch the local fishing boats and ferry whilst we waited to leave.

Both places have the same spectacular scenery and I thought Halong Bay was pretty clean.

I preferred the Halong Bay cruise as there was more to do from the boat ( not taking into account the stay on Quan Lan island . )

At Halong Bay we were rowed by local women in small boats to a fish farm, small but interesting , and next morning when we were kayaking we went thru a cave to an inland sea beautiful and eeire ( misty morn ) , also saw monkey's there.

At Bai tu Long Bay we only kayaked around the karsts.

However both places are beautiful and I don't think you can make a wrong choice.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

Bai Tu Long Bay is to the East of Ha Long Bay.

They are in the same general area, you just move from one bay to another.

As already mentioned, you can't go wrong with either.

With a long drive already from Ha Noi, tourism hasn't quite reached BTLB in force.

If I have plenty of time, I would do both.

If I don't have much time and have to choose between the two, I would take Ha Long Bay when it's not busy/peak season.

But if it's peak season, I would take Bai Tu Long Bay to stay away from the crowd.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

We did a Bai Tu Bay trip on Dragons Pearl and we went to a fishing village, an afternoon on a beach, kayaking and dinner in a cave so the activities are pretty similar I'm sure between the two. I did Halong Bay on a previous visit and can't say I noticed any difference in the scenery as they are all partof the same thing and you go through one to get to the other and it doesn't change. It was quiet in both on our trip and we saw no rubbish in either over three days.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

I visited Bai Tu Long Bay this year and Halong Bay some times before.

The junks and programs are more or less the same everywhere: kayaking (which seems very popular today, years ago you didn't see kayaks everywhere), visiting a fishing village and pearl farm, swimming if the weather is like...

If your main reason is to see the landscape and maybe photography, I was more satisfied with Halong Bay. The area I've seen there was bigger than in BTL, but I don't know if they have limited routes today. Another point is that you can get a view from above (when going to the cave or Titop island), which is not possible in BTL.

8. Re: Halong Bay vs Bai Tu Long bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:17