We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Cruise from Hanoi

Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Day Cruise from Hanoi

I'm looking for some advice on which is the best company to book with. I've looked through the website and can't seem to find a day trip I'm happy with. We can only do the one day trip from Hanoi due to time.

We'd like to sail on a junk with some time for swimming in Halong bay visiting the major caves.

Anyone give me any advice on the best company to use? I'm not bothered about group or private tours either are fine.

Alisa Cruise
Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Halong Hanoi Transfer
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips, Boat Hire
Novn Travel
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Hanoi Halong Tours
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Level Contributor
14,930 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Cruise from Hanoi

Just a thought, but you might like to have a rethink.

For a start, a day trip to Halong Bay will involve a 7-8-hour, none too smooth or comfortable journey there and back by road, allowing you just a few hours on a junk in the bay.

Visiting major caves? There are many small ones but the term 'major' can only be applied to one or two heavily visited ones and I'm not sure whether they're included in day trips. I'm on shaky ground in that regard so advice would be appreciated from those more knowledgeable.

As for swimming in Halong Bay, hmmmm. The water looked pretty clean when I was there but that is not always the case, and if you anticipate crystal clear, blue lagoon type water you will be sorely disappointed, no matter what the conditions on the day you visit.

The thing is mrmufc, Vietnam - and indeed SE Asia as a whole - is best savoured at a leisurely pace, and if at any point you have to gallop in order to tick boxes your experiences will be lacking to say the least, so best abandoned in favour of quality over quantity.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 23:14
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Cruise from Hanoi

I agree with CB. If you can only spare one day you'd gain more from spending it in Ha Noi.

Level Contributor
2,197 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Cruise from Hanoi

I have done two nights, one night and a day trip to Halong and I wouldn't do a day trip again or recommend it. No sooner are you on the boat, you're coming back and it doesn't justify the eight hours on a bumpy bus ride. Also its unlikely you will get far enough out to want to swim, there will be lots of other boats and most likely rubbish until you get much further out which is unlikely on the time frame given.

Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Cruise from Hanoi

Thanks for the replies but I'm afraid we can only spare the one day and we do want to visit Halong Bay. I appreciate the travel time etc but think we'll just have to take a hit on it. Thanks for the information about swimming I will take that out of the equation then which opens up a few more trips. Anyone recommend a company to use?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Cruise from Hanoi

Hi, mrbmufc

The best company to book Halong Bay Day tour in Older quater (Alova Day Cruises)

You can check everyone in Older Quater

I sure that

Mr Tuyen (E Travel VN Private Day Tour on Tripadvisor)

6. Re: Day Cruise from Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 06:21
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now