We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

Came across this cruise and the photos look lovely but I have not seen any review on it. Am looking for a 3d2n cruise - any advice appreciated, thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

Hi Alex,

I've just posted my review about signature cruise. Just look for Katie N from Melbourne. I heard that 'Au Co' is the best cruise ship at Halong. Unfortunately, we only found this out once we were there.

Enjoy your trip - it's a wonderful place to visit.

Al Khobar, Saudi...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

Recently went on the Siganature Cruise 03 - 05 January 2014 (2 nights 3 days). Beautiful boat, great food, great staff, excellent outings - all in all a first class experience, would recommend it highly.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

Although this is my first forum post, I have written a handful of reviews but I thought I'd just give my 2 cents and people can listen and believe me or not, up to you...

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip (3 days 2 nights) on Signature Cruises on the 6-8th of Jan. They only have one 1 boat so far but are getting another one soon. Staff are very friendly and helpful and probably was one of the highlights. Rooms are a great size for a cruise boat in Ha Long Bay (we had a senior suite room) with a decent size bathroom. The bed and pillows were great so you get a good nights sleep. The only problem we had was the bath/shower, there is no shower head holder so you either have to sit in the jacuzzi tub and hold the shower head (but it is a struggle if you're a tall built) or stand and hold it but then you will get the bathroom floor wet and make a mess. They do have housekeeping though to keep it clean and the water does drain out if there is water spillage.

Other than that, nothing too much to complain. The boat is beautiful with a French theme decor with decent food. Dinner was quite similar for both nights though (we had buffet dinners for both nights because it was a full boat) but I wasn't too fussed even though I can't eat seafood. They did accommodate for me though. They always double checked with me to confirm if I can't eat seafood. On the 2nd day boat trip (on a small day boat) they cooked separate special dishes just for me which was delicious! There was also a good seafood choice on the day we went. My husband enjoyed it very much and he loves seafood. The day boat is not part of the Signature Cruises fleet but was nice and pleasant although not a 5 star rating. It was a typical tourist boat in Ha Long Bay. Side note, kayaking was amazing, we enjoyed it very much although all the rubbish in the water does spoil it a bit. It is quite sad really but it just shows you that Vietnam, along with other developing countries, do things differently. Another piece of info: all the activities available are pretty much what ALL the cruises offer. So don't feel like you're missing out, you just go to different areas in Ha Long Bay at different times.

An important note is people have to understand that when in Vietnam, you can't expect the same products, items, ratings etc as other developed countries have. Things are just different over there but the main thing is, they are trying and put a lot of effort. So people can't be so picky and fussy as they would when comparing to countries like Greece or whatever. My mum went on a 3 star cruise just recently as well and said she didn't even want to sleep in the sheets! Every cruise does tai chi in the mornings, cooking classes, squid fishing, visit to surprise cave etc.

So overall, I would definitely recommend it. If you want an absolutely perfect cruise (which I doubt anyone would get) I'd, prob go with Au Co cruises but you will pay heaps more. If it's a worry you won't get for what you paid for, then all I can say is, that is Vietnam for you. Standards are just different there. But if you go cheaper, you will definitely get a budget cruise ship. I was tossing up and stressing on what cruise to book with for 2 months, and I have not one bit of regret! With the special promotion prices, I think it was a great choice. I too was worried from all these comments about the decision I made but I just had to prepare myself for the worse (which was only the bathroom in the end) and loosen up and handle anything that came my way! Enjoy the time you are on the cruise, appreciate the culture and how they do things in Vietnam and don't worry about anything (I think that's a tip for visiting the whole of Vietnam though!).

Ps- I do have pics of the boat and room if you want them :)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
34. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

My guest also very happy with Signature Cruise .

Not the best choice but ok for the price with very big room and great food

Recommend

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,242 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

cp-89 how did you book your cruise?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

Maryann-ns I booked it through Best Price Vietnam. They were great, highly recommend them. They have good prices for everything. I booked the cruise, hotel, transfers and visas (visa approval confirmation letter) and it went all smoothly.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 21:50
Calgary
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
37. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

I too would like to know if anyone has been on a signature cruise I found a company that has a website called Halong bay tours and they are called Blue Dragon Tours. Anyone know if they are legitimate

Thanks for anyone's help

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

Thanks for your honest opinion. My wife and I are going on a 3 day cruise march 12 to 14 and are really looking forward to it, you are absolutely right that you can't expect perfection but they are trying and it looks like a beautiful boat. If you would like to share your pics that would be great

Cheers Chris

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

Hello Kay

we are thinking of going on Signature, how was your experience??

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Has anyone been on the SIGNATURE cruise on Halong Bay?

I haven't been on a cruise. I have been trying to book one but it has been a horrendous experience (a) signature themselves are showing availabilty on their website (b) agents are also showing availability and at a third of the price. Agents, surprise surprise, have no availability when you try to book (even one is pressing a 'book' button) and try to push one onto inferior products and Signature themselves, suddenly have no availablity either - and have no explanation as to why their website prices are 3x agents - other than from time to time they do 'promotions' (not reflected on their site). After my experience of trying to book a two night cruise on Halong Bay on a decent boat and at a decent price - I have given up. Reviews are increasingly mentioning bad operator practice, pollution, swimming with all types of crap, crowded bays, and being treated like a herd of sheep - for 700 USD+ per night i would prefer to go somewhere I'm not subjected to that. From what I can see agents dealing with Halong Bay (and if anyone wants to inbox me I can tell you who I have been dealing with) are a bunch of sharks/crooks just out to relieve visitors of the most amount of cash possible with no level of respect or consideration for what the visitor actually wants