We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Which Halong Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Hi

I realise there are hundreds of forum messages about the various Halong Bay cruises, but they've just added to our confusion really!

To give some background, we're three 26 year old girls wanting to do a 3day/2night cruise in Halong Bay. We don't have the money to go luxury. Everyone warns you off the budget cruises, so we're thinking mid-range. However, we're worried the boat will be quite boring. The last thing we want is one of those cheap, booze cruise types, but then at the same time, we don't want to be stuck on a boat with just families. Are there any mid-range boats out there for young people, where the focus isn't all about getting as drunk as possible, but there's a fun atmosphere in the evenings. Any recommendations from like minded people who've done a cruise would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Hey,

We're two 28yo french guys and looking for exactly the same thing!

I can't find anything but those booze cruises full of 18yo teenagers...

The more I read about Halong bay cruises, the more confused I am!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Hi,

Almost cruises only offer fishing activity and karaoke singing in the evenings. Customers on cruises are mixed, so you will not expect cruises just full of families. If you are afraid of boring nightlife, you might want to cut it off to 2 day/ 1 night trip instead of 3 days/ 2 nights.

If you wanna take the boat with lower prices but reliable services and quality, check 3* ones. Some 3* big boats like Glory cruise, V'Spirit cruise, Phoenix cruise... (over 10 cabins), the smaller 3* boats are: An Nam junk 5 cabin, Poseidon Sail 8 cabin.

Enjoy your trip in Vietnam!

Halong Bay Legends Travel!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Don't worry too much. I have been to Halong three times during the last ten years and all cruises are more or less the same and people and activities are more or less the same. Ten years ago there has not been much entertainment in the evening, maybe a crew member took his guitar and drinks have been available.

I'm a solo traveler and never felt bored on the cruises. Always some people to chat, some drinks after dinner and the evening is gone. Just book a cruise that fits to your budget, maybe a 2d/1n (3d do not offer much more to see and do).

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

Orange, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Gabby87 and Tom B when are you going? We are going to be there at the end of March and are looking for a similar cruise! Maybe we can join together!!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Hi!

We'll be there 15th April - 17th...

7. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 13:35
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

this post helped so much! we are 3 canadian girls travelling there in May looking for the exact same thing!!!

we are still trying to decide if it is worth doing it ourselves instead of a tour. but that the end of the day the tour does include alot. what are your thoughts?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Hi Vicky,

May I know you will go for 2 days/ 1 night or 3 days/ 2 nights and what is your preferred budget per person, then people here can come with some suggestions.

Happy day!

Halong Bay Legends Travel!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halong Bay - mid range for young people

Hanoi Backpacker Hostel have their own boat that is reportedly inexpensive and good for young people. We're well past that sort of travel these days, but they're worth a look if you want a cheaper option.