We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

We're using Indochina Junk for our Halong Bay tour.

We'd like to catch a domestic flight from Hanoi to Danang. Apparently they can drop us off halfway and have a taxi take us the rest of the way.

Any idea what time we might arrive at Hanoi airport? We'd like to book the 6:45 flight out. How early do we need to get to the airport for a domestic flight?

Thanks!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

1hr ealy before departure flight, so you need arriving at 5h30 pm at airport. Shuttle bus arrive in HN around 4h30 , you have enough time to get taxi to airport from HN center.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

The drop-off point is at Bac Ninh and at a rough guess it will take about an hour to get from there to the airport, so you should arrive at the airport before 4.30 pm. To be on the safe side you should remind your tour guide about the arrangement before or when you board the minibus for the return journey.

There's no way you should follow AsianwayTravel's advice to go all the way back to Hanoi. There are sometimes delays on the road and heavy traffic from outer to central Hanoi could delay your arrival significantly, causing you to miss your plane.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

last year we booked a private car to take us from our Halong Bay cruise directly to Hanoi Airport- I was quite surprised at just how quickly we got there- it was a very short trip- under 3 hours if I remember correctly and we arrived very early for our flight to Danang.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

further to my post above...the following was the advice I received from someone I trust greatly...

<<<You can book the flight leaving Hanoi at 16.30 since it takes 3.5 hours drive from Halong to the airport, so you will get the airport at around 14.30 or 15.00>>>>>

as I said above- we got there even quicker- but, even allowing for hold-ups......

however. that was taking a private car all the way, rather than taking a shuttle bus to the halfway mark and then hoping to find a taxi.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 10:37
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

"that was taking a private car all the way, rather than taking a shuttle bus to the halfway mark and then hoping to find a taxi."

Hi Maz, no need to hope to find a taxi. The cruise company arranges for a car to be waiting at the turn-off, hence my advice to remind the tour guide about the arrangement so that he can phone to ensure that a car has been ordered. I get nervous about such things, especially if I have a flight to catch. :-(

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

Á usual, shuttle bus of Halong Bay cruse will reach Bac oNinh (the place to eaisy to catch taxi to the airport) around 3.30 pm. So it takes around 45 minutes to the airports. So as the plan, you will be the airport around 4.30. Your domestic flight, you shuould be the airport 1 hour before departure time. So, it is on time. :D

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

I agree creaky..I feel very nervous about such things and that time was no exception.

My strongest feeling was to take a much later flight, just to be on the safe side, however as I said the advice came from someone I trust very much.

I'm guessing that the shuttle was included in the price of the cruise/tour and I'm wondering how much the private transfer is from the halfway mark

Edited: 13 May 2014, 11:34
Basel, Switzerland
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

Hi Maz

Can you remember how much you paid for a private car straight to the airport and which tour compant arranged it for you?

9. Re: Halong Bay to Hanoi Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:16