We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest Airport & Weather

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Nearest Airport & Weather

I'm attempting to gather the best travel option to Ha Long Bay. Is it Hanoi and long transfer or fly into the closer airport Haiphong? And transfer options from this airport to the Bay?

And weather predictions in late-November? I comprehend chilly and maybe rain but curious of probability of storms or worst that would make it undesirable?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,892 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

Hi Montclair (I went to high school there)

It's much easier through Hanoi since most of the cruises include minibus transportation from Hanoi. Weather unpredictable that time of year, but normally fine to great. Mild temps - excellent weather in Hanoi then (could be a little Hanoi smog in the Bay). I know a great agent for that cruise - very responsible (PM me).

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,806 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

Unless you plan to go to Cat Ba Island by ferry or hydrofoil, flying into Haiphong doesn't offer much of an advantage as it's a fairly long transfer to Halong City to join a Halong Bay cruise.

I don't know where you'll be flying from, but wherever it is there will be more flights to Hanoi than to Haiphong, which makes time management somewhat easier. Yes the transfer from Hanoi to Halong Bay and back is long, but it will be included in the cost of the tour and you can always have sleep during the less bumpy bits.

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

I'll PM for agent info. IF HaiPhong doesn't save time or frustration I will fly to Hanoi from HCM.

I hear conflicting stories whether Ha Long Bay is worth it vs. dirty/crowded and unwhelming. I would do an overnight and hope much better and safer vs. some of the reads I've heard?

leicester
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

Pay for a decent boat and you should have a great trip. Personally I thought it was awesome, clean and really quiet where we were in Bai Tu Bay on Dragons Pearl. Loved every minute of it and saw nothing I had read about in terms of the negatives. We did two nights, could happily hVe had an extra night but then we had great weather which I'm sure helps.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

Get one of the reputable boats that go to Bai Tu Long instead of the generic Halong Bay area, and you miss all the negatives. Clean, quiet, very few other junks in the vicinity, and exactly the same type of scenery.

And do it all from Hanoi. The junk companies are all geared up to collect their customers from there, and drop them back in Hamoi after the cruise. No point in not using their services, and certainly a lot easier from your perspective.

We too recommend Dragon Pearl, and the Indochina Junk company. But there are quite a few other good boats and companies that go to Bai Tu Long.

Paradise...
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

hi. question about ha long - airport transfer please.

need to catch flight from Cat Bi airport at 14:00.

is this a good plan?

-on the last day of the ha long bay cruise take the hydrofoil from Cat Ba (10:00) to Ben Binh ferry terminal (11:00) in Hai Phong.

-taxi to Cat Bi airport (by 12:00 noon).

possible to go from Cat Ba to Dinh Vu? (closer to Cat Bi airport) then taxi to airport.

Thank you!

Halong Bay, Vietnam
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

It is way easier to go to Halong Bay from Hanoi, even if you want to go straight from Noi Bai airport in Hanoi to Halong bay, there are a lot of tour operators and cruise operators have rental car for you (of course with driver, you don't need to drive yourself). From Halong Bay, if you want to visit Cat Ba Island in Hai Phong province, you can take the ferry, it will take you 45min- 1hour to reach Cat Ba Island from Halong. Hai Phong city itself have nothing spectacular to visit.

About the weather, bad stormy weather usually happens in July and August, maybe some storms can happen in early September, but you go in late September then the weather will be good, nice and not chill, quite a comfortable time to go. ^^

Paradise...
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

thanks but i will be visiting ha long bay from hanoi.

at the end of the trip i need to arrive not in hanoi, but in Cat Bi airport before 12:00 noon. this is why i need a ferry from Cat Bi to Vinh Du.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

Dear PURCITRON,

The rule of thumb in SEASIA not just Vietnam is not to cut it fine with connecting transportation.

Haiphong may appear more convenient location wise but there are far more flights out of Hanoi meaning if you miss one there will be another one in a hour or so. As you plan on catching the Phan Thiet train early next morning I would be on the train to Hanoi right after your ferry docks at Haiphong wharf.

Paradise...
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nearest Airport & Weather

point taken.

the only reason i wanted to take the ferry from Cat Ba to Hai Phong airport is to make the 14:00 flight to HCMC to, in turn, make the 19:00 bus from HCMC to Phan Thiet.

i guess ill trade the HCMC-Mui Ne evening bus for the Ha Long bay-Hanoi day bus (:

then fly HAN-SGN + train HCMC-Phan Thiet... about 10 hours longer in total, but physically safer as you explained it.