We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Options

Anaheim, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel Options

We will be visiting Ho Chi Min and would like to visit Halong Bay. What travel options do I have? We have limited time and want to see as much as possible.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Options

HCMC is in south of Vietnam and Halong Bay is in the north: it's a two-hour flight to either Hanoi or Haiphong, from either of which you would have a lengthy road journey before boarding a Halong Bay cruise.

You're going to have to put some personal effort into researching an itinerary that will suit your interests and the time you have available. With the minimal information you have provided, absolutely nobody on this forum can offer any help whatsoever.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,334 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Options

The places you have mentioned are at opposite ends of the country.

A bit like me landing in LA and saying I wouldn't mind taking a look at Times Square.

How long do you plan on being in Vietnam for?

Anaheim, California
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Options

We will be in Vietnam 10 days and are planning on visiting Halong Bay for three days.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Options

With respect JeannieMC13, the majority of people who give up their spare time to offer help on this forum are travellers, not travel agents. Accordingly it's all about give and take, with the words 'please' and 'thank you' playing a large part in the depth and quantity of responses received.

I suggest that you spend some time reading the helpful pages on the following website to give some structure to your plans, always bearing in mind that with just 10 days you will only be able to see a small fraction of Vietnam:

http://www.travelfish.org/country/vietnam

Anaheim, California
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Options

Harsh!

Sorry I'm new to this and have just started investing where and what I want to do when I ran across this website. I thought people would just be open to general questions - guess not.

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Options

Jeannie

It isn't that people are not open to answering general questions but they can only do so if they have something to work with. For this purpose it is always good to see at least a rough itinerary or some idea of likes and dislikes and what you would like from the holiday. A lot of Forums do have a "sticky" at the top of the menu page explaining how to approach putting forward questions but there is not one of those on here.

As I see it the main problem for you is that you have allocated so little time to the trip. Saigon to Hanoi is around 1,700 kms hence the 2 hours or so flight. Shuttle buses feeding the Halong Bay cruises do start very early so even with an early flight to Hanoi it seems likely that you would have to wait until the following day. If you factor in a day to sort things out in HCMC even a 2D/1N cruise would mean you have already used up 4 days out of your 10.

Assuming you fly back home from HCMC and allowing for flights not being guaranteed to leave on time (or even go to the correct Airport!) you could look to have say 4 days somewhere else. Rather than splitting up that time you could look at flying to Da Nang and then a short transfer to Hoi An. This is a World Heritage Sight and even has a beach. Look it up and watch a few videos.

You do not say when you are looking at visiting but if not for a while I would suggest going along with CB's suggestions and then come back with more ammunition for everyone. It might also be useful to look at the Top Questions listed on the right hand side of the main Vietnam Forum.

John

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Options

JeannieMC13, there are so many cruises in Halong bay ranging from budget to luxury boats. Most cruises bring you to discover Halong bay area; there are only some that explore Bai Tu Long bay, the extension of Halong bay with quieter, cleaner and less touristic atmosphere. To name them here: cruises from Indochina Junk (Dragon's Pearl cruise, Red Dragon Cruise, Prince cruise, Princess cruise, Dragon Legend), Paloma cruise, White Dolphin cruise, Gray Line cruise, Signature cruise. You might choose one boat based on your budget and preferences.

For three-day trip, Dragon's Pearl cruise is very recommended as the cruise offers dinner in a cave - the unique experience that no other cruises offer.

Happy travels!

Ho Chi Minh City...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Options

@JeannieMC13, your Itinerary is actually quite rough to work with but you can still make it. 3 Days in Ha Long is enough for a Ha Long Cruise. If you are going to take the 3 Days 2 Nights cruise then you do not need to worry about spending money on food because they have it included just like Halong Bay Legends said.

7 days left, you can have enough time for travel around Ho Chi Minh City and its nearby Provinces. In Ho Chi Minh City, if you are looking for a budget accommodation or a guest house to stay. You should go to De Tham Street or Bui Vien Street on District 1. The minimum price for 1 night in the guest house is $15USD which i have check 3 days ago. For food, you can spend average around $1- $5 USD per meal. I suggest that you should contact with the TA for city tour in Ho Chi Minh City or you can simply just do it by yourself which i suggest it will be much more fun. War Remnants Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Unification Palace, the Old Post Office, the People's Committee Hall is those places you can visit. If you look for a shopping place, you can go to Ben Thanh Market, Diamond Plaza, Saigon Square or Vincom Tower. One more place you should go is Cu Chi Tunnels. You can go there by bus and the entrance fee is around 90.000 VND. I hope this help.

9. Re: Travel Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:16