We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay form Hanoi with an 18 month old baby

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Halong Bay form Hanoi with an 18 month old baby

Has anyone travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay with a toddler? how did you cope and how was the boat trip?

we don't mind if we can't Kayak, just concerned about the 3.5 hour drive without a seat belt. we are thinking of taking a taxi

leicester
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong Bay form Hanoi with an 18 month old baby

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. The trip is long and uncomfortable to get there, the boats are not child friendly really in terms of safety and I'm not sure how relaxed you would be on board watching your child's every move. Most trips include more than kayaking such as cave visits, swimming and other activities. There are steps/stairs and little room to run about apart from on the sun deck which has very steep steps. Just my opinion, but I have read others on previous posts saying the same.

Hanoi, Vietnam
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay form Hanoi with an 18 month old baby

Hello.

Why don't you take a private car? It is more confort than on the bus. You can talk with your hotel's staff to arrange it. Private car 2 days 1 night costs maximum 120US$

Have good day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay form Hanoi with an 18 month old baby

I took advice and used a private car which costs about $140 and booked the Afrodite cruise for 2days/1night. It was really worth it, the journey is long but the maximum speed was 80km/h and average speed was 60km/h. The driving in Vietnam is something to be seen but the advantage of having a private car is that you can tell the driver to take it easy.

On the return leg, we refused to stop and driver did get upset (we are going to write the hotel about that). On the junk boat, our 18month old was fine, guests and staff always enjoyed entertaining her.

Did she cry?

Did she get grumpy?

Of course she did, but she also had fun and stayed up late playing with the staff after dinner. One thing we learned pretty quickly was not to do all the events and plan for her naps.

My advise to all parents is to accept you won't do everything and enjoy what you can, make sure your child always gets some sleep regardless of the itinerary and you'll have a happy playful little mate to enjoy the little you can.

we skipped the kayak session for a long siesta, in return we were able to do the cave. On the safety side, they had little cute yellow baby life jackets!

My top tips:

- Get a private car

- Leave the buggy in the hotel and get yourself a baby carrier if you don't have strong arms

- Dont do everything on the itinerary and make room for baby naps (VERY VERY IMPORTANT)

- Book the best junk boat you can afford. Cut back on hotels and get a foot boat, staff and safety are paramount

Asia is a great place for babies; no one bats and eyelid and staff love to play with you little one (relax and let the staff/randoms passerbys get involved)

If you child is blonde, get ready to by stopped for photo opportunities by locals!

;-)

4. Re: Halong Bay form Hanoi with an 18 month old baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:15