We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

helicopter to Halong Bay

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
helicopter to Halong Bay

i know that A&K takes their guests from hanoi to halong bay in a helicopter as opposed to the 3/4 hour car ride.

a) anyone knows the name of the heicopter company?

b) is it a good idea and is it safe?

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

I knew you must be from the States - who else would checkout one of the worlds beauty spots from air!

The company is an Army company. Northern Air Services, 182 Truong Chinh Street, Dong Da District, Ha Noi. Tel: +84-(0)-4-852-3451. No tour op needed.

They run a fine collection of Russian made rustbuckets - even have fuel tanks mounted inside the cabin for added 'safety'.

Cost, last time I updated our database, was USD$174. Every Saturday - they depart Gia Lam airport (just over the other side of the Red River) around 10.00H and return about 16.00H. They have a grass landing pad in the Bai Chai area of HL City.

The same bunch also does fly-overs of Sa Pa - saves all that train time and you avoid meeting the locals altogether! There is a 'helipad' off Provincial Road 151.

Happy landings!

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

Hi Max,

With the greatest respect, in answer to your question part b) only, why don't you invest in a good DVD of travelling in Vietnam, and enjoy it in your lounge room with a cold Budweiser!---lot cheaper!

Regarding safety , there are still a lot of roughly airworthy helicopters flying in VN, flown by a less than airworthy bunch of "pilots"!

Though then again, you may hunger for an early demise from this planet!

Buckle you seatbeats( if they have them)!

plover

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

thank you both for your entertaining responses.

let me tell you our itenerary and you tell me your thoughs:

nothing has been finalized yet

NYC-cambodia (via bangkok).

3 or 3 1/2days in cambodia

hanoi and halong bay 3 days

2 extra days: should it be hcmc,hoi an,hue,????

kho samui resort for 4 days. there is a 4 seasons opening up......

i need advise on those 2 extra days. we are flying w/3 young kids so that is why we are not visiting everything.......

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

thank you both for your entertaining responses.

let me tell you our itenerary and you tell me your thoughs:

nothing has been finalized yet

NYC-cambodia (via bangkok).

3 or 3 1/2days in cambodia

hanoi and halong bay 3 days

2 extra days: should it be hcmc,hoi an,hue,????

kho samui resort for 4 days. there is a 4 seasons opening up......

i need advise on those 2 extra days. we are flying w/3 young kids so that is why we are not visiting everything.......

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

Hi Max,

Thanks for taking our jest(?) in good spirit regarding helicopters!

Can I make a respectful suggestion?---You are coming one hell of a long way to get to this part of the world!

Many people try to cram too much into a short time!---and come away from these countries with memories of hotel rooms, airports and taxi's---little comprehension of the country!

You have 2 options---to come for a lot longer--or 2 , decide one country and do it justice!---You are travelling with children!---it will be hard on you and them ---packing/unpacking and seeing nothing!

Personally, I would drop Cambodia off your schedule and concentrate on Northern VN only!---Halong, Sapa, Hanoi and down to central VN ( Danang, Hue, Hoi An)---use Kho Sumui at the end of your trip to relax before returning home!

Just a helpful suggestion , I hope!

plover

P.S ---even this way you have done nothing more than scratch the surface!--Kho Sumui is just another over touristed resort --nothing special here!

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

thank you plover.

kids have only 2 weeks vacation but I know you are right.

thanks,

Max.

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

why bother going to samui.. you'll feel it is ruined by tourism in a lot of areas - especially chaweng - after visiting vietnam and cambodia. Why not have a beach rest in 'nam instead?

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

plover and Toneer:

ok, if i cancel Koh Samui, where can i go in vietnam that is great.

we would like a beach resort comparable to a 4 seasons if there is such a thing.

i read something about an amantara but don't know if that is the place to go.....

thanks.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

Hi Max,

If you want up market ,Hoi An is probably better for ( your children and yourselves)---acceptable beach and a lot of new resorts opened there!---The Ana Mandara is in Nha Trang!---" a Garrison Resort"---very nice really---but a bit like a prison and expensive!

Go to "www.hotels-in -vietnam.com"---this will give you wide range of hotels/resorts in every part of VN----use this site for Info only!

some thoughts

plover

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: helicopter to Halong Bay

well, i've not been to vietnam yet, so i cant say from experience, but if you're looking for luxury, the ana mandara resort and the evason hideaway at ana mandara (both nha trang) look very luxurious. They are both expensive though. Personally, i'll be staying at the sofitel vinpearl in nha trang, which meets my comprimise between cost and luxury.

I can speak from experience with Samui though. There are some nice parts, it's not all bad! Its just that a lot of it is ruined by over development and tourism. We stayed in chaweng noi which, although slightly out of chaweng was still ruined by tourism in my opinion. However, if you want a relaxin break in samui away from it all, there is tamarind springs and also the tongsai bay. I went to both for the day and evening and didnt want to return to my hotel!