We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

I'm planning to have a trip with my wife to North Vietnam. So what are the pre requisites i need to take care also do we really need any agency to plan our trip or we can do of our own.

8 replies to this topic
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

Most people would tell you that DIY is the way to go. And that's how I've traveled the country (and the world) for many years.

All the information you need is online.

Researching is part of the fun.

Once you employ an agency you'll discover what a huge waste of fun and money it was.

Vietnam is much less daunting than so many other places.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 11:17
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

I spent a month in the north last December. Flew in/out of Hanoi, then went to Sapa/Ta Van, Bac Ha, Ninh Binh, Hai Phong, and Cat Ba island.

All done DIY without any agents. Very easy with some research and planning. Use Travelfish.org and TA for places to go and things to do, and Booking.com for accommodation.

Flight booked directly with Emirates, not a travel agent. Why? If you have to make any change to your flight, agencies charge exorbitant fees.

Go for it!

Edited: 16 October 2018, 12:20
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
443 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

I've travelled Asia in the winter months for 9 years, never used an agency. And I'm an old fart.

Tons of info on the net, and you're not locked into anything, travel as u please.

The only way to go, and planning yourself is a lot of fun.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

Firstly, you should do some research to draft your trip. At least you know where to go, how long for each place, how to get there...After that you may ask for some suggestions on transport, accommodation...You may contact an agency to compare the cost if you want. Sometimes I book tours via agencies for completely stress-free trips and searching-time saving, not bad!

Level Contributor
104 posts
5. Re: Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

travelling is too easy these days with online maps and tripadvisor

winnipeg
Level Contributor
246 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

We did our 5 week trip on our own too. Like kuduman from Thunder Bay, my husband is an old fart and I'm entering into old fart era. I wouldn't travel SE Asia any other way. I researched for 10 months reading and viewing blogs and trip advisor. Ask questions if you aren't sure of something. Download the app maps.me - you can use it offline and we found the app very useful.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
273 reviews
7. Re: Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

never used an agency to travel anywhere in past 30years. These days with all the info you need at your finger tips, really difficult to understand why anyone would use an agency

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
8. Re: Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency

A DIY takes more planning, researching but it is always better than joining an organized tour. It is cheaper, more fun and flexible. Do keep in mind your local hotel/homestay host can also be a wealth of information. My homestay host in Mai Chau makes our stay memorable - they provide map, point out site of interest, arrange local guide and tour at much lower rate.

Read more on my blog https://bigsmallmoment.wordpress.com

Reply to: Trip to North Vietnam without any help of agency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted