We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payments for Tours / Hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Payments for Tours / Hotels

I have booked all my tours and hotels via the internet and they are all requesting i pay the whole amont by bank deposit or credit crad.

Is this a normal procedure paying the full amount?

Thanks Heaps

Hanoi Street Food Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours, Motorcycle Tours
HanoiKids Tour
Food Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Classy Travel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Food Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Adventure Indochina Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
melbourne
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payments for Tours / Hotels

It depends. I booked hotels directly over the internet and didn't have to pay anything until I got there. One hotel even booked a jumk in Halong Bay for us and we didn't have to pay for that until we were leaving the hotel.

Some hotels I booked through places like Asia Rooms and I had to pay the full price up front.

A private tour I booked in HCM I paid for when I finished the tour.

When you say you have booked over the internet have you used a vietnamese travel agent to book these? If yes then other people who have done this might be better able to advise you.

One of the hotels wanted me to send a copy of my credit card which I refused to do so. They were happy with me giving them my credit card number over the phone. This is no different to what I do when I ring up and book hotels here in Melbourne.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
870 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payments for Tours / Hotels

The hotels I have booked in Hanoi and Hoi An I booked direct with the hotels, provided no credit card details and they are happy for me to pay when we check out.

Personally I am more comfortable with this arrangement.

There is a lot of credit card fraud in Vietnam. Last year when we went we used our credit card once at a hoi an dressmaker our card was cancelled by our bank on arrival back to Australia. I think they were being over cautious but explained to us that there was a high possibility our card had been scanned.

Shell28

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,767 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payments for Tours / Hotels

We booked hotels directly by email and none asked for any deposit, and we didn't pay anything until checkout.

If you're booking through a service like expedia.com or asiarooms.com then yes, you do need to pay at the time of booking by credit card.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,301 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payments for Tours / Hotels

A1

Do not set a precedent by paying upfront.

Release your flight No and info to them to meant you are serious on your travel date.

Suggest to pay cash upon arrival .

All establishment add 3% surcharge for using card as payment.

With so much scams do not give your card details away.

Cheer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payments for Tours / Hotels

We have just returned today. We booked all our accomodation via email directly with the hotel and did not pay anything until we left. Some hotels even organised internal flights and trips for us and these were also paid for when we checked out.

6. Re: Payments for Tours / Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 14:24