We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book hotel direct or through agency?

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Book hotel direct or through agency?

Is it better to book hotel through direct website or through agency (Asiarooms or similar).

Travelling to Hanoi in August 2008 via Hoi An and want to book Hanoi accomm. soon.

This is all new to me so need some guidance please.

(I have a hotel in mind but can't find direct website).

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,634 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

It really depends on the hotel - as you say, not all hotels have websites. I've only booked three, but have had excellent results:

BI Saigon Hotel Saigon

www.bisaigon.com bisaigonhotel@gmail.com

Anh Dao Hotel Sapa (no site)

www.sapa-hotels.com info@sapa-hotels.com

Hanoi Guesthouse Hanoi

hanoiguesthouse.com/ hanoiguesthouse@yahoo.com

melbourne
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

Which hotel is it that you are trying to book? Post the name on here and some one might have a contact address for you.

I found that with some places it was cheaper to book directly whilw with others in was cheaper to use Asia Rooms etc.

Marian

3. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2008, 04:04
Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

Looking for Hanoi Elegance 2 website please.

Seattle,Washington...
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

I have not booked our hotels through there websites because the cost of the rooms are higher then using a viet travel company in vietnam. The bigger travel company's have contracts with the 3,4,and 5 star hotels and resorts. Most of the better hotels well require charge card info. to hold room reservation but some have found here on this forum that it was not guaranteed and there was not a room or the room class was not available when they got there. This is not very likely to happen with a good reliable viet travel company making your bookings. The travel company's we use there do not reguire credit card info. but most recently now are requiring a $150 total deposit to guarantee the hotel,transportation and any tours ect. This is done in case of a no show or late cancellation since many hotels/resorts and the local airlines are now requiring deposits several days a head to guarantee the reservations. Vietnam has joined the rest of the worlds business practices since there are so many tourists in Vietnam. Yes, it is nice to have a local viet travel company to make all the reservations and have a car and driver to meet you. There are over 2 thousand local viet. travel comany's now in vietnam. The same service's can be many $'s apart. My wife and I have now been back to vietnam 5 times in the last 4 years. We have traveled to many places through out vietnam now. I was a soldier there in 1970 and heard Vietnam was now a great place to visit. It is! We are from Seattle,Wa.The 2nd trip we brought our 24 year old son and have been back for an engagement party and then back again for there wedding. We have traveled up and down vietnam and have used 2 different local viet travel companies. One in Saigon and the other one is located in Nha Trang. They give great prices and are very honorable. We always compare and they are always lower with the same service ect. We pay once we are there and in return they give us the in country flight tickets,hotel vouchers and receits ect. If you want more info. you can e-mail me at kennbaker@msn.com Either way...have a great time! I went back to vietnam last April for a week to check on a partnership I have now with a coffee/gift shop in Nha Trang that we hope will help support a local orphanage there. Going back again this March for 2 weeks. If this is your first time...you want to have a travel company located in Vietnam to set everything up for you! It will be much cheeper and all is done! They always can beat the internet and walkup rack rates for 3 star hotels and up. It is nice to have them make all of your in country flight bookings and make reservations for any car and driver with or with out a guide ect...Only need to relax and enjoy!

Australia
Level Contributor
695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

AustraliaMimi : This is the hotel home page. Clck to the one you prefer i.e Elegance 1, 2 or 3

www.hanoielegancehotel.com/Default.asp…

melbourne
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

website for Hanoi Elegance 2 is

http://www.hanoielegancehotel.com/default.asp

You can contact them via email. I didn't stay there in the end but They did respond to my emails very promptly.

Cheers Marian

8. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2008, 08:48
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

We got back from Vietnam last week and had booked all our hotels via the hotel website with no worries at all. Each of them got back to me regularly to confirm our booking and check if we needed transport from the airport etc.

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor we stayed at Golden Sun in Hanoi, Orchid in Hue and Thanh Xuan in Hoi An and they were all excellent. Each time we arrived at a new hotel they were expecting us, the staff were great and they are all very well located.

For $25-30 a night I don't know how any travel agents could have done it cheaper.

Rowe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
569 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book hotel direct or through agency?

I'm going to Vietnam next week and ended up booking most of my hotels through websites. I approached several travel agencies, one through a friend's referral and the others through webpages. All the rates from the agents were higher than the hotel's own website, with one unique exception.

I booked the Duxton in Saigon through their own (Australian)website, to get an unlimited wireless internet rate (complaints about high wi-fi charges on several tripadvisor reviews). My first choice was the Grand, but it's fully booked on the nites I needed, and I tried several different agencies, booking sites, and the hotel direct.

Booked the Pho Hoi Riverside in Hoi An (Hoi An and Ha An were full) directly through their website via e-mails, with CC guarantee sent by fax. Booked Villa Hue (very interesting boutique property that is part of a tourist training school sponsored by the government of Luxembourg!) in Hue, by e-mails, with CC guarantee by fax.

I found a wonderful travel agent in Hue who is organizing an extensive DMZ tour for me, based for 3 nites in Dong Ha. She booked the hotel there (Hieu Giang VIP Room for $25/nite) and advises me to pay the hotel directly. I'm quite sure she will get no commission for this, so I will give her a fee as compensation. She is also booking the internal airline flites and, since she doesn't take credit cards, I have to buy the ticket at the airline office when I arrive. Again, I will pay her a fee, well worth it for the peace of mind of having the flites I want.

For those who want a special DMZ program, the Hue travel agent is Nguyen Thi Dieu Van (Nguyen is her last name, Van is her first name), 34 Nguyen Tri Phuong St, Hue. Office phone: 054.821773 Cell : 098.486.4485. Her e-mail is dieuvan73@yahoo.com. Note she only does business in cash, I imagine most of her clientele is walk-in traffic in Hue. She was highly recommended by several people who have recently done extensive DMZ tours. Like me, they needed local permits to travel "off the normal tourist route." Van is extremely professional and compassionate, she responds very promptly to e-mails, highly recommended.

For Hanoi I booked the Golden Sun through venere.com.

Now, booking everything separately was a royal pain. I had the time and energy to deal with each hotel separately. Just know that if you go with an agent you might be paying more than if you book everything yourself. I was very picky about the exact properties I chose, someone who would be OK with an agent selecting all their hotels might not mind paying a little more for the convenience.