We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Station

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Train Station

Which station do trains depart Hanoi to go to Cao Lai.

How do you get to the train station with luggage (we'll be travelling on the night train).

Is a taxi best?

All help is appreciated

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Station

Sorry Lao Cai not Cao Lai!

australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Station

hi, yes a metered taxi will be the best way to hanoi train station for the oversight train to sapa, i gather thats where you are going. when you get of the train there will be many vans offering you a ride to sapa for 2 us dollars dont pay any more.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Station

Depends on how much luggage - you don't need much. Most of the Lao Cai trains use Station B (the rear of the main gA, but accessed by another street entirely) - the correct station is normally printed on your ticket. I believe one of the trains use the main ga also - just look at the ticket.

I only had a pack, so I walked down from the Old Quarter - not terribly far (a mile or so). Give yourself plenty of time because VN stations are poorly marked and you'll be seeking out others in your search for the right place.

Make sure your Sapa hotel is picking you up - meaning you go on the tourist bus (a guide on the bus takes you right up to your hotel) - they take very good care of you, even if you can't understand what they're doing!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Station

I forgot - the luggage thing. Normally tourists don't take any luggage! Most folks leave their luggage at their Hanoi hotel and only take a small bag/pack with them to Lao Cai/Sapa. You know, when I was in VN I saw these people with huge wheeled luggage pieces (looked like they were musicians lugging around their harps!) - felt so sorry for them - WHY??? You will be far happier with less - believe me!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,694 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Station

Apart from anything else there's not really a lot of space to store luggage in your train compartment- the space under the bottom bunks and a small srt of box at one end of the top bunk.

Daawgon's suggestion to leave the bulk of your luggage at a hotel in Hanoi and take just a pack or overnight bag is a good one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Station

Good tips

Problem is that when we return from Sapa we have to travel straight to the airport. So i think we'll have have to take them with us.

I guess we could have our taxi drop into our hotel on the way from the train station to the airport?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Station

Most trains going to Lao Cai depart from Tran Quy Cap station. It's about 10-15 taxi from the Old Quarter. Ask you hotel to call a reputable taxi to pick you up. Hanoi taxis are the worst in the country for ripping people off!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Station

Hi DebDeb

We have just got back and as previously advised I would get a Taxi, only a few dollars though our hotel in Hanoi organised one for us and it was less hassle. You will get put in a cabin and there is not much room and highly recommend you only take a small bag and not your whole set of luggage. Are you sharing a cabin, my 10 year old son and I travelled together and there are only 4 berth cabins - unless you pay the extra for a limted 2 berth.

Going to Sapa was fun as there were 2 families travelling and we shared with 2 members of their family. On the way back we shared with non speaking so it was a bit quieter but we sat in the next cabin with a girl we had met whilst we were trekking. The train gets back around 5am so we went back to our original hotel, repacked our small bags and went to Halong Bay at 8.30am.

Most hotels will store your luggage - where are you staying? Make sure your hotel in Sapa has organised a bus ticket for you - it is a real bun fight at the other end of train trip but definately worth it.

9. Re: Train Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 07:22