We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golden sun

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
golden sun

Any further comments on the Golden Sun in Hanoi, still waiting for Ausberg for your hotel report.

thanks aussieaussie08

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: golden sun

We stayed there in February this year. Great location, quiet (for Hanoi) street in the Old Quarter. Staff are excellent. Picked us up at the airport for $10, arranged our Halong Bay trip and internal flights etc. Not a 5 star hotel by any means but if you want to be closer to the real Vietnam this is a good start. Considering how cheap it is definitely value for money.

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
59 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: golden sun

Back at work and really busy so will attempt to do them on the weekend.

The Golden Sun was great. Three lots of building works were happening just near the hotel and it as noisy even at night. I was woken at 3 and 4 am to hear the banging. Went on all day. Even laying concrete.

They are quick to knock up construction. When are you going?

Email Mrs Moon to see if they are finished.

If going later than sooner it all may be over. If in the next few weeks the work still may be happening.

Across the road is nearly done but a couple of doors down may take longer.

The staff at Golden Sun were fantastic and very helpful. The location to the old quarter could not be better. The traffic noises of the street is minimal.

We loved it. Internet in the foyer is free and rarely busy.

Ausberg

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,254 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: golden sun

I really must extract the digit sand submit my review for the Golden Sun. We were there in January and I concur with Ausberg's opinion. The staff were fantastic, the price was good, the location excellent and we had little or no street noise despite overlooking the street. They hadn't started building work when we were there so that wasn't an issue.

Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: golden sun

We stayed at this hotel this time last year - hotel is very nice, nice rooms, free computers in lobby were good, great location and close to old quarter, which means close to bia hoi (gotta love that!!)

However, we found the staff to be extremely rude, sly and dodgy. They wouldn't go out of their way to assist in any manner. They wouldn't turn on the hot water for morning showers and when you call to front reception, they "pretend" to not understand - 4 mornings in a row!!!

Perhaps things have changed since we stayed there - let's hope so.

Rech

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
59 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: golden sun

They definately have. We were there for 6 nights and not once did I hear anybody complain.

I was on the computer in the foyer for many an hour and many people staying here went in and out. No one had a complaint or bad word to say. The staff were always friendly and helpful to all inquirers. The often shared their knowledge of Hanio and were happy to hear people's adventures.

Ausberg

Ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: golden sun

My family and I stayed in the Golden Sun for 5 nights (I think) during our travels in Vietnam. I can't say enough about the service, and the quality of the hotel.

First off, as some people have said, they arranged a cab to pick us up at the airport, which was nice. It cost us $13 US to do that.

I think we stayed in the Golden Sun "2." Not that it matters, as they are essentially right next to each other. Which ever one, it was right on the corner of the street.

The staff was ridiculously friendly and spoke good English. I was always dealing with a woman at the desk who was always willing to help me with anything.

Breakfast was good. It's not a "buffet", but you just order whatever you want from a menu. It's really good, though, and comes fast.

The day that we had to leave, we had to leave at 6am, and breakfast starts at 6. We asked the woman at the desk if we could have breakfast at 5:30, and she basically said "of course." So we woke up that day and there was a waiter waiting for us to have breakfast.

Great location, too. Seems like most of the hotels are in this area. This street alone seemed to be filled with them.

7. Re: golden sun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2009, 08:33