We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

Has anyone travelled to Vietnam on China Airlines with a VOA letter of approval in-hand? Did they let you board?

I'm flying from Vancouver to Hanoi on China Airlines via Taipei. Does check-in counter check for visas at both Vancouver and Taipei?

I read this comment (#11) in the following thread and was a bit spooked, why weren't they let on with the letter? Am I going to get badgered for a "real" visa as well?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293924-i8595-k166…

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

I have just posted same question - but no replies yet. I am traveling from Vancouver too, but going to Myanmar first, and then via Bangkok to Hanoi.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

Have you spoken to China Airlines? I would suggest they should be the first people you approach.

Hanoi Vietnam
Level Contributor
963 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

Civic and Mirka,

Reading your link I understand your nerves but don't worry.

The incident described in that post is getting on for 2 years old.

China Airlines will be well used to it by now.

Also my experience suggests that you can expect to take about 10 minutes to do the procedures at the airport - I'm usually through before the luggage arrives.

As Numbat suggests - it can't be a bad idea to check with China Air before you proceed.

Martin

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

I just made my flight reservation - and found cheap ticket on AirAsia from Bangkok. As I had a lot of flights last year with them (in the middle of Bangkok airport closure) they should be less worried by Visa on Arrival than Air France - at least - I guess so...

Tooele, Utah
Level Contributor
522 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

Here's your answer - China Airlines out of SFO in April had us sign an affidavit that if the Letter of Authorization was bogus and we couldn't get in, we would be responsible for our our return trip. China Airlines out of LAX three weeks ago, didn't even require the affidavit this time. I think it is them coming in line with Viet Nam's "newer" approach to issuing visa's.

Enjoy your trip - you won't have a problem!

Tooele, Utah
Level Contributor
522 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

Didn't see the second part of the question - they will not check for visa when you are transferring through Taipei, but they will do a simple passport check to make sure you have it.

In addition, you will be given a simple 'pink' health questionaire to fill out prior to arrival in Ha Noi. Have this filled out and simply hand it to the 'quarantine offiicials' which will be the second thing you do, after getting your visa on arrival. They are set up to do temperature scanning, but it appears to be random, and I didn't see anyone being scanned at all when I went through, and they didn't even look at the form either.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

Well I got a hold of the China Airlines agent at YVR and he says it shouldn't be a problem with the Letter!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

Well I got a hold of the China airlines agent at YVR and he says it should be ok with just the letter...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

Thanks everyone!

10. Re: Visa on Arrival - China Airlines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 05:16