We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

Hi everyone,

I'm taking my mother to Vietnam for her birthday- we will be there for 5 nights.. I am thinking 3 in Hanoi and 2 in Halong Bay. The Elegance chain looks nice... we are into clean, comfortable, safe and personal- no big hotels for us...

Any recommendation on the Elegance that is right for a 26 year old and a 60 year old or does it matter?

Also, we'd like to do 2 nights in Halong Bay- we LOVE culture and also love a little nightlife or even just a nice bottle of wine and music... any particular cruise better for this? Any cruise have more options to visit local villages or anything?

Please -- any advice would be great! We'll be there from March 1-6

Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

Hi,

I can't comment on the Elegance since I'm yet to stay there but I'm sure you can find heaps of reviews on them on TA.

Regarding your Halong bay question, there are so many of junk boats and sure enough it takes much of your time choosing a good and, more importantly reliable one. My partner and I were booked on board the Bhaya 3 for one night (through a local company - Aurora Travel) and would happily recommend it. The (smallist) balcony was lovely. We'd the whole morning of the last day to visit a floating fishing village which was great fun.

Let me caution you that, some of the other 'cheap' boats are yet to be licensed by the local authorities and therefore, sometimes they are inspected and banned while running out the bay, so your cruise may be cut short unexpectedly. If you read up more, you'll find a recent report on this.

Happy planning

Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

I went with my father so (24, 48) we stayed at the hanoi elegance 2. Great location, service, rooms and local knowledge. Its a boutique hotel and they can organise local guides to take you on tours to wherever you want to go.

judgingtravel
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

For nice boutique hotel in Hanoi, you can choose Maison de Hanoi hotel or Medallion hotel, Boss hotel as well. All of them have good locations and newly built, the price is reasonable. For the junk in Halong bay, you can choose 1 of them: Bhaya, Paloma cruise, Ginger cruise or red dragon. When you join with them, they will do the special favor for your event.Cheer!

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,530 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

Lovintheworld I was looking forward to relaxing under the stars on Halong Bay with a bottle of red but when I asked the price the beer started to look better. $45AUD for a bottle of Jacobs Creek $10AUD anywhere on the globe. Be sure to ask whether you can bring on your own drinks prior to signing up.Some allow some dont. I bought a bottle of Dalat red from the lady hawking over the side in her little boat. The staff refused to open it.

I now understand that the grog sales on board these junks is the business of the staff or a little business on the side, not the cruise companies.

Ross

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

hi Lovintheworld....

I took my daughter to Vietnam 3 year's ago (I was 57 she was 28) that was my 3rd visit and her 1st. We were booked into Hanoi Elegance 2 and whilst I would never disagree with all the great reviews about the actual hotel and the staff, she could not bear Ma May Street which is SO SO busy.

We moved to Hang Hahn Street which is so much nicer and quieter and much easier to walk around and enjoy. and right by the lake. there are a few very good hotels in Hang Hahn such as Hanoi Imperial, but....

I highly recommend the Golden Sun 4 which is a few streets away in a wonderful quiet street. hotel is new with lovely rooms with personal computer free in each room, flat screen tv, lovely bathrooms- perfect and quiet location, wonderful staff- please check out the reviews for this hotel. (mine will be amongst them)

I also took my daughter to Halong Bay- an experience so amazing I had to repeat it last year- please be sure you book a good Junk boat- both times I went on Bhaya and i've posted reviews on the forum both times and many times since. It is the most important decision you will make imho - I was advised this by Tonkin Travel and they were 100% correct-

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,508 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

Bowenarrow->>I bought a bottle of Dalat red <<

That was remarkably brave of you!

We were at a New Year's party in HCMC a couple of years ago and after he had finished a palatable glass of Russian champagne, someone refilled DH's glass with Da Lat red. "I think someone's filled my glass with Vietnamese tile cleaner," he confided before finding a conveniently located pot plant :-)

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,530 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

Yorkfoodie the marine supermarket that pulls up alongside your junk offers you whatever wine you want as long as its Dalat red !

Cheers Ross

8. Re: Mother Daughter team in Hanoi and Halong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 05:15