We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi to Halong Bay

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
perth.w.a.
8 posts
Save Topic
Hanoi to Halong Bay

I have read heaps on here about day trips taking 3hrs or more to get to the bay. My friend insists that by private cab just over an hour. Could you please tell me what time it takes, thanks

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

It definitely isn't an hour trip!

Google Earth has it about 150km. And we are not talking about motorway driving either. Takes a good 2 and a half hours at least, depending on traffic etc

Edited: 21 March 2010, 05:00
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,322 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

I believe it usually takes an hour to get to the eastern edge of Hanoi.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

It usually takes at least 3 hours or more to reach the pier in Halong Bay from Hanoi, no matter which means of transports you're going. This is partially attributable for the fact that traffic congestion is very common in the city itself and the roads in the outskirts are not that good.

You can fly to the Bay for less than one hour I guess. But unfortunately there's no airport out there at the moment :)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

All the tour companies include at least 1 stop approx. 30 min. each way for visiting a restroom which does not shorten the drive. However it was nice to be able to walk around. Avoid the overpriced tourist trap shops there.

5. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2011, 11:34
Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

I would have loved it if my trip from Hanoi to Halong Bay/Halong City took only an hour but I really believe this is next to impossible.

If you're planning to do a cruise, most of the tour companies leave early in the morning (around 8am or so) from their offices in Hanoi and it will take approximately 3 hours depending on traffic and usually a toilet/meal stop along the way is about 30 minutes. The junks/boats leave the port around 11:30am.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

I'll be in Hanoi in April and was wondering about a 2D/1N trip to Halong bay, but I'm a squeamish passenger and have heard that the road journey is hairy. Can anyone expand on this please.

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

Hi There,

The road journey is not hairy - just a bit boring - take your I-pod or a good book to read. There is no scenery really worth looking at.

Cheers,

Sandy

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

If you've gotten adjusted to the free-for-all style of Vietnamese driving (which you will quite quickly) the trip to Ha Long Bay isn't hairy, it is as SandyL says, fairly boring. The road goes through a lot of industrial areas and similar looking small towns and then a lot of empty bits. On the way back I slept a lot of the way and don't feel I missed anything vital :-)

bundeena
Level Contributor
970 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanoi to Halong Bay

Is that a jet cab.

The trip to Halong bay is the worst and the mini buses stop at these horrible toilet/ food places for a 30min stop there and back the food and drinks and soveneirs at these place are a rip off .

This alone puts us off ever returning to Halong Bay