We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first vist

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
first vist

Hi

Would love some help we are planning a trip to Vietnam not sure where we should go and what to see, also when is the best time for travel we are used to the hot weather as we live in the tropics but would rather go in the dry season we are in our 60/s Thanks mosiewigs

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first vist

I personally feel the best time to travel Vietnam is anytime between January and June, Jan and Febcan still be cold in the north, but most of the center and south will be nice. The rainy season starts in the south in the summer.

Personally I would start in the south in mid Febuary or early March and work my way north.

Start in Saigon for a few days with a side trip to the Cu Chi tunnels and perhaps the Mekong delta

Then if bussing, you can stop in Mui Ne for a beach break or water sports, Or continue up to NhaTrang. Plan to spend a little time in Nhatrang. There are beaches and many attractions to keep a person busy.

After that head on up to Hue/Danang/Hoi an for a dose of history and culture.

From there, jump on a plane and head up to Hanoi. From there you can easily arrange a Halong Bay tour, and a trip to SAPA. The weather should have warmed up enough by the time you get there.

I would also suggest you custom build a tour to the places you decide, that way You choose how long to stay in any one spot.

You should hit dry weather and nice temperatures. You will have a great time.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first vist

It's always hard to say as far as the weather concerns but broadly speaking Vietnam sees most of its rainfall between May and October, peaking in June in the north and August in the south. In my opinion, the best time to visit the country should be September and October as it's the end of rainy season and normally prices for tours and hotels are very reasonable.

You need to plan at least 3 weeks so as to see most of the major attractions in the country. Tour operators may help but it's easy enough to travel at your own pace. Work your way from north to south or vice versa with stopovers in the central region, it doesn't make any differences. And it depends on your interests as to what to see.

Hope this helps

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first vist

In the case of where to go, it really depends on what you enjoy doing and how much time you have. Owee has mentioned the places on the standard tourist run (requires about 3 weeks) but there is much more to Vietnam than that.

For example Dalat and the surrounding countryside are well worth a visit and provide a welcome respite from the heat of the coastal areas, Ninh Binh Province is stunning and has many places of interest, and north-east Vietnam offers spectacular scenery away from the tourist hordes for those with a budget that is generous enough for a private tour.

All in all it would be a smart move to buy a good guide book and identify which places hold the most appeal for you before getting to work on your itinerary.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first vist

Hi

A big thanks to everyone for your great ideas they have given has somrthing to think about

Have a great day/ Mosiewigs

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first vist

Hello

My husband and I are planning a trip to South East Asia in mid May. We have about 3 weeks vaction total and one of the considered destinantions was Vietnam. The time would be very limited, roughly about a week at the end of May-beginning of June. I wanted to ask you what the weather is like during that time and what we can see. We would def want to go to Ho Chi Minh City and then maybe Hoi An and Hanoi, all depends on time. But our main concern is weather...we are not sureif this is the strat of rainy season and we don't want to go if it rains every day ( we experience dthat in Thailand/Phuket in Feb of 2009). Can you please give us some advice?

Thanks

Ursula

Edited: 26 March 2010, 16:06
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first vist

Because May and June are the months of summer in Vietnam, the weather may become extremely hot and humid in all regions, particularly in the south, so it's advisable to get yourself covered up whenever you're out on tours.

Rains should be expected here and there but they don't last days on end and therefore are bearable.

Anyway, there is nothing as clearly defined as European seasons, Vietnam is very diverse and the weather varies from one end to the other. It always seems to be nice somewhere in Vietnam, just make the best of your time and you will have a great trip!

Hanoi
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: first vist

Answer 1

Hi there,

I absolutely agree with Anewworld.

In the South of Vietnam, the rainy season (May to November) but don’t worry, it won’t rain all day, offen 2- 3 hours, after that the sun appears again In Hoi An , the weather is better. So you can join local activities

In Hanoi, the rainy season in Hanoi lasts from May to September but the rain is not consistent and does not usually interrupt travel or ruin a visit.

If you have time, it’s easy to go to Sapa or Halong Bay.

Hope information can help

Van Cao

Indochina Travel Service

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first vist

Hi, we are also mid 60's and going on our first trip to Vietnam in October not knowing a lot about the cournty we mought the Lonely Planet guide to Vietnam and it is really great, together with ideas fro TA we have worked out what interests and suits us.

9. Re: first vist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 05:17