We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
569 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

Hi all,

Just wondering is there a westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi? as the 28 degrees card only do not charge any withdrawal fee from westpec atm.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

I assume you mean Westpac, and no, there are no Westpac ATM's in Vietnam.

You can withdraw money from any ATM and will not get charged fees from Wizard. However:

"For overseas ATM cash withdrawals, you may be charged ATM owner fees but you will be advised of the charge at the time of the withdrawal."

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

Just to repeat what skeeo wrote you won't be charged anything from Wizard to withdraw cash from ATMs in Vietnam. There is usually a 20000 Dong charge made by the Vietnamese bank. Sometimes I have found ATMs that try to charge 40000 Dong (ie $2 instead of $1) on my 4 million Dong withdrawal. If there are lots of ATMs around and I'm in a picky mood I will cancel and try a different machine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,515 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

Only ANZ of the Australian Banks has a licence to operate in Vietnam.

However, you can use your Westpac Card in any of the ATMs that are part of the Cirus system.

But a word of caution. All AU cards are part of the Falcon anti-fraud card system and it is a wise precaution to phone the number on your card to let them know that you will be using that card in a particular country/ies between the dates of from/to. Otherwise, you may find that the withdrawal is blocked to protect you against fraudulent use of your card as the ATM transaction will not fit your usual use pattern.

I just use my Westpac Handicard as a debit card when travelling and it works a treat - as long as I have funds at credit. Much safer than carrying a bundle of cash around with you. However, I always phone Westpac Card Centre several days before travelling.

Best regards.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
569 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

Sorry for the typo yes i mean Westpac , the trouble is my bank is Bankwest, i don't think they have any branch or atm in Hanoi.

If i want to use card for withdrawal, i might have to joint a different bank, or is there another way??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

Look at the card, if there is a visa logo, find an atm with a visa logo. If there is a mastercard logo, find an atm with a mastercard logo. If there is a cirrus logo, find a atm with a cirrus logo. Get me?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
569 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

Thank you, that is good as my card has got the Master card logo but it is a credit card which will incur high fee for withdrawal, even with our debit card there is also a fee for withdrawal , it just no good.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

I thought you had a 28 Degrees Mastercard?

You did mention it in your original post although both skeeo and I mistakenly used the old name of Wizard. The 28 Degree Mastercard is the best option for Australians as there are no fees other than the 20000 Dong charged by the Vietnamese banks. You can't avoid that fee and it is only $1 so don't worry about it.

If you have a 28 Degrees card then preload via Bpay and let them know your travel dates and take some cash (AUD$) as well.

Don't stress - it's not that hard. ;-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
569 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

No sorry i did not have the 28 degree card, but when you recommended this card i went on their web site to check out the term and conditions, and it mentioned that if this card used at the westpac atm there will be no fee, so that is why i thought if there is a westpac in hanoi i might consider to get one of this card.

Any way thanks very much for all you suggestions.

Yes, your right i shouldn't stress will just use our debit card for withdrawal and pay for any fee that will be incur.

Edited: 29 April 2011, 14:30
Queensland
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

Just came back from Hanoi. Used my 28 Degrees Mastercard in the ANZ teller Hanoi. The fee was 40,000 from ANZ, per transaction. Should not be fees for 28 Degrees. I told 28 Degrees before I went to avoid card being blocked.

This is about the cheapest option to get cash in Vietnam without carrying cash.

Not sure of the exchange rate. I will post later

The money changer offered $2.06 VD for US$1.

I will post the rate from the jewel shop later.

We were charged no foreign bank fees at the Waterloo London station when getting a cash advance.

I loaded money on it to be in a positive balance

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,383 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: westpec bank or westpec atm in Hanoi

Chweerhar, go ahead and get the 28 Degrees card, they don't charge fees for any overseas ATM. They also don't charge a foreign exchange rate. All you pay is the local bank's ATM fee. With your BankWest card you will pay the local bank fee, plus BankWest's foreign ATM fee, plus BankWest's foreign exchange fee. Plus as Bundy says, if you have a positive balance you don't pay any interest either.