We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on arrival

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
177 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Visa on arrival

Does anyone have any recent information about the whole visa on arrival thing? I'm debating with whether or not it will be easier to get an actual visa (loose leaf or sticker) before hand opt for the approval letter and visa on arrival. Also, has anyone done a re-entry visa (I'll be going to cambodia for a week and then returning to Hanoi for a day before my flight leaves) or is it easier to get a multiple entry one? The money isn't a big deal to me (seems like the multiple entry visa--either loose leaf or actual sticker--is going to run me about $100-150 depending upon if I do a rush and wait the half hour at the consulate the next time I'm in San Francisco or just send it off to them) but it does feel like a hassle. On the other hand it feels more secure and 'assured'. The on arrival seems like you can do most of it online with minimal fuss but in the end feels like a bit of a question mark to me. Plus there is the supposedly long wait for processing when you arrive. Pick your poison, right? Has anyone done both or have a strong feeling on one way or the other based upon positive or negative experience?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on arrival

I've done VOA 4 times, and would not do it any other way. Last time I used it for multiple entry since I went to Laos and back on the same trip. VOA is quite good at Hanoi airport - most of the delays reported are in Saigon. It's no big deal!

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on arrival

Which ever one you decide I would get a multi-entry visa,just makes things easier. I went with the VOA as it was the cheapest way to go. I had no trouble on arrival and the whole process took 15 mins tops. Still had to wait for my luggage after that. I know other people have had to wait much longet,just the luck of the draw I guess:-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
177 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on arrival

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards voa since it seems so much easier. Anything I can do online as opposed to mailing and photocopying and writing things out and going to the pst office...well you get the idea;) One last qustion: Are all the voa providers the same? Does it really matter which one you choose? It seems like a few seo the heck out of google to get to the top of the list. Is there any reason not to use one over the other? You're basically just paying $20 for someone to email you a pdf, correct?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on arrival

You'll be sent a scanned JPEG image that you can print out and shown to your boarding airline. I've used 2 private travel agents in Vietnam and both were quick and very pleasant to deal with. If you hunt around you can get a real bargain (even free sometimes) for the Approval Letter. I know the guy who runs visa4vietnam - an agent in Hanoi who has become a personal friend. Don't be alarmed if you see other travelers on your letter - this is very common (most agents wait till the end of the day to go to VN Immigration and a single letter is often issued). The other thing you can do is to download the Form-on-Arrival from myvietnamvisa.com and complete it before you leave - this saves the time you'd spend filling out a form at the airport. You need to put down a local contact - I just put the name and street of my hotel. Just hand in that form with 1 passport pic + the $25./50. fee in USD (good condition bills) + your passport to get a visa in the passport on arrival. In Hanoi the visa on arrival area is just to the left of the escalator on the ground floor - don't proceed to Immigration B4 you get a visa! (VOA desk is open for all international flights)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on arrival

Hi daawgon,

As we will be leaving for Hanoi tomorrow, and no one seem to mention the "Form-on-arrival" at all not even our tour agent, so just wondering do we really need to fill in this form and how many form is there for each of us??

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,328 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa on arrival

You can join the queue when you get there and get issued it or download it from here........ www.myvietnamvisa.com/form-on-arrival.pdf only one required per person, not two. Same with the photo.

If you read the sticky here ... tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293921-c148049/Vietn… tells all

Edited: 08 May 2011, 07:22
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa on arrival

Hi 69bertie,

Will print out the form from the net, Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa on arrival

I waited only 10 mins for VOA at Hanoi airport and keep the $25 ready.

Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa on arrival

Also dont forget you photo - and ensure that they put it with the form - go to the other window and wait for your passport to be put up against the window - no problems

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
177 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa on arrival

Cool . Thanks again!