We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Sapa

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Sapa

We have been booked into a 1 cabin/4 berth on the train from Hanoi to Sapa.(mid March) We aren't huge people but would like to be comfortable. Any tips for travelling on this train, please? Thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Sapa

Leave your big bags, if you have any, in Hanoi and only travel with a small bag. There is not a lot of luggage storage in the compartment.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Sapa

There is either open space below both lower bunks or the bed will lift and have space beneath........... there should be enough space

Owee

www.owee58.com

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,487 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Sapa

Bring along your ear plugs to shield the noise from the rail rolling stock and eyes mask from the light.

You might need to bring along toilets roll ,sometimes run out inside the toilet.

Retain the train ticket as you need them at the rail exit upon arrival for checking purposes.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Sapa

My daughter and I each purchased a silk sleeping bag at the Hanoi markets, in case the linen (not just on the train but any accommodation) is not up to scratch. We also found them warm and they are so small and compact. Loved Sapa and the whole train experience. Donna

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Sapa

I thought the train journey was horrific! The beds (in orient express cabin) were comfortable, clean and warm but the train was so loud and you can feel every bump and movement. Definitely take ear plugs and if I was going to do it again I would be taking sleeping tablets. There was room under the lower bunk for bags but if you can just take a small bag it makes it easy to manage. Our toilets always had toilet paper and were fairly clean although people were smoking in them!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Sapa

There is storage under the lower bunks but if all four have huge bags they won't fit. Overnight case and backpack size will fit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Sapa

Thanks to you all for this great information. We had planned to only take back packs for this part of our trip. We will definitely take ear plugs after reading these posts. Many thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Sapa

Thanks for the tip. Silk sleeping bags sound sensational! (do you like the alliteration??!)! Donna. We will try to buy them in Sapa.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Sapa

Silk sleeping bags surely do sound sensational, but buy them before boarding the bogie.

If they're going to be needed, then it will be from Hanoi onwards, so buy them there - $3-5 for a single, no more than $5 for a double, and watch out for artificial fibres.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Sapa

Yes, silly moi - I meant we will try to buy them in Hanoi!

Thanks for the post, Creaking Bones! (sounds like me!!)