We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to kill in Hanoi.

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Time to kill in Hanoi.

Hi folks,

We have a few spare hours in the morning/early afternoon in Hanoi until we get our flight to Saigon mid afternoon. Is there somewhere where we can relax and take a shower as we will be getting the sleeper train from Lao Cai which gets into Hanoi around 5 in the morning. Once in Saigon we are taking the long trip back home to U.K, so somewhere to freshen up will be a real treat. Any tips on what we can do? Thanks in advance! : )

leicester
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

When you arrive in Hanoi, grab a coffee and sit by Hoan Kiem lake and watch the city wake up. you could then either check into a cheap hotel for the day for a shower and a sleep or maybe a spa for a relaxing massage and maybe a shower if they have the facilities. I've checked in at seven am before for the same reason and it's well worth it unless you have things to see in Hanoi. Not sure if any of the big hotels have pools but that's also an option.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

I expect that your trip to Sapa/Lao Cai is preceded by some time in Hanoi. You might want to think about leaving the bulk of your luggage at your hotel in Hanoi and just take a smaller bag to Sapa. The hotel will store your main bags and when you return from the night train you could see about booking into a day room so that you can freshen up.

Greg

Edited: 22 April 2012, 23:14
Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

Most hotels in the old quarter will rent you a room for a few hours. Hotels that are around $20-$30 per night will change you less for just a few hours of room time.

Another option is the Australian run Kangaroo Cafe that offers showers and bag leaving options, as well as some food.

One of the delights of Hanoi is to take a walk around the lake early in the morning to see how Hanoians start their day. Join in some tai chi or just people watch. Its great fun!

The Women's Museum on Ly Thong Kiet, an easy walk from the Old Quarter and Hoan Kiem Lake, currently has two new exhibits that are excellent. One focuses on the lives of migrant women who work under the Long Bien bridge in Hanoi. The other focuses on mother goddess workshop, something very unique to northern Vietnam, and mediums. At only 20,000 for entrance, its well worth some time.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 01:02
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

Ya , I agreed that you should book a cheap hotel which you can use for few hours before the flight.

You can check the Victory hotel in Tran Quy Cap street and itsabout 20-30 usd per room which is right at the train station so you can sleep and refesh before flying.

Cheers,

Nhung

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

Travellers should be aware that Mangocruises is in the travel industry,and as such should not offer advice as there could be a conflict of interest.

Ross

Edited: 23 April 2012, 04:38
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

Hello Ross,

what do you mean by the message above? I don't really understand?

I advise traveller to find a cheap hotel and convinience way to save time and money .What the problem here?

Did you have a bad day?

Nhung

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

Hi again Ross,

I don't know how much you know about Viet Nam and how long have you lived here as you are obviously not Vietnamese while I was born here, worked as tour guide for 15 years and my Blood is PURE Vietnnamese, growing up in Vietnamese culture and graduated in a Vietnamese University and Im proud of being here as a local here to give advises for travellers who wants to visit to my country.

Can you speak Vietnamese by the way?

Nhung

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

Excellent ideas everyone thank you. So glad you can book a hotel for a few hours, we will likely do this.....thanks again.

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

Good idea thanks!!

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time to kill in Hanoi.

Like you Nhung I am proud to give advice to travellers and proud to tell travellers when there could be a conflict of interest when reading posts on this site. If you were serious about helping travellers you would declare that you are working in the travel industry.

Cheers Ross